South Guard 2. Proven by the Sword

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

South Guard 2. Proven by the Sword

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. Hard 1.1.1
2. 3, much easier than the previous version thanks to a recruitment center in the middle of the map, advanced troops, ample places to heal.
3. Clear enough
4. clear and somewhat interesting. burning down the towns was an interesting touch... fit the story but detracted from the gameplay. a bandit would burn a town instead of using it to heal and hide in.
5. crossing the river, but that was pretty easy because there weren't many enemies left at that point. skeletons were cake with the white mage.
6. 6, more entertaining than the first.
7 maybe reduce number of towns, there seem to be a TON of them.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Kvasir
Code Contributor

Post by Kvasir »

1) Easy, hard
2) Easy 1, Hard 6
3) Clear enough
4) Rather interesting.
5) First time on hard I failed because I got too unlucky with the thieves/footpads.
6) 8
7) Once you have the citadel everything becomes too easy, maybe the AI should get a gold boost when that happens. The burning village thing is nice but I never saw it before reading the campaign files since I never lost a village. Having one of the eastern villages spawn a bandit that burns it could make everyone experience their evilness.
PieterW

Re: South Guard 2. Proven by the Sword

Post by PieterW »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1:1.1.2 hard
2: 4
3: not very clear, it should be said that you should get your hero to the donjon, especially because this campaign is for new players
4: it's ok, nothing special
5: getting used to using speed when playing this game
6: 6
7: get the city closer to your starting point to make the map more intense. You don't need the speed ne for the last scenario anyway
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

- easy 1.1.2a

- 5, it seemed to pose a challenge at first but when I got to the center town and the flock of peasants popped up, it turned very easy.

- very clear.

- very interesting! coming into the city, the burning down of villages, the cleric, the peasants coming out of the houses, the twist with the undead, it all came togther very nicely and with flawless pacing of the narrative.

- also everything was well explained and went over many key strategy points for beginners, which I appreciated.

- fighting the undead at first, but then with the mage they went down very easy.

- 8, I enjoyed it very much.

- I think it's awesome like it is.
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

(1) Hard 1.1.15
(2) 6 - had to replay it once because I ran out of time. Stupid elusivefoot on castles.
(3) 9
(4) 8
(5) Recruiting fast enough to get forces across the bridge before the time limit. The first time I played, I moved off my keep and had to spend 2 turns killing the footpad so I could recruit again. Then I got blocked by thieves is Westlin and couldn't advance.
(6) 7 - pretty neat.
(7) Move the initial footpad back a bit so he can't steal your keep. Tone down the aggressiveness on the enemy leader - he charged into the water in front of a swordsman and got cut down on turn 11 or 12, which made for an undramatic finish.
cheerful coffin

Post by cheerful coffin »

hard, v1.1.7

very clear. No way I can miss it.

- very interesting! coming into the city, the burning down of villages, the cleric, the peasants coming out of the houses, the twist with the undead, it all came togther very nicely and with flawless pacing of the narrative.
I feel like I am actually liberating the town from the bandits!

1.The village... I fell for it... I couldn't go back to the keep anymore :cry:

2.almost ran out of turns in getting into the town keep.

3.the footpads are fast little buggers. One of them burns a village. I think I will make an add-on "dungeon keeper for Wesnoth" especially for this bugger. :twisted:

10. v.1.1.7 makes the battle very lively :twisted:

can't think of any...
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, version 1.1.8

How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4/10 - All very straightforward.

How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Perfectly clear.

How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Much better then the last scenario. Not TRoW standard, but not painful either.

What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Avoiding casualties after taking the city.

How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7/10 - quite enjoyable actually.

What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The village-burning dialogue repeats everytime a village is burnt. IMHO only the first burning should trigger the full three speeches.
EDIT: I almost forgot, the bandits being brothers is horribly corny.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1. The middle difficulty setting which the campaign calls easy. Version 1.1.9

2. 5

3. Pretty clear.

4. The story is looking really intresting. The brigand suddenly summoning undead was a nice surprise, as was the bandits starting to burn the villages. The second really added a sense of urgency to the mission. Can't wait to see what happens next.

5. The major challanges for me involved dealing with the undead. The majority of your units deal piercing damage, against skeletons. There was a messy battle along the banks of the river for me where the undead tried to cross and I had to rapidly recruit spearmen to stop from being overrun while sending a force across the fords a little ways to the north to kill the leader.

6. 8. Very fun map. Had that nice messy battle I mentioned before, and I had a nailbiting few turns when I took a stupid risk and sent the counciler into battle seeing as how much damage holy did to undead. He lost most of his hitpoints, and I retreated him, but one or two undead managed to follow and just when I thought he was dead their attacks missed and I could relax. So in short I enjoyed myself.

7. It's pretty much perfect as it is.
Septim

Post by Septim »

(1) third (called normal) v. 1.2
(2) 5
(3) clear and well explained
(4) 7/10
(5) train loyal units; no loses; save villages
(6) 7
(7)
Kvasir wrote:Once you have the citadel everything becomes too easy
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

I played "Proven by the Sword" in January 2007.

(1) Hard "Soldier", Wesnoth 1.2.0
(2) Scenario difficulty: 6 (moderate)
(3) The objectives were clear, though my strategy for handling them was not so good. Turn 8 clarified that I needed to do what I was already doing, which is putting Deoran in Westin's keep.
(4) If bandits had Westin, and Westin was the capital, then I as Deoran knew that the situation was worse. If the bandits recruit undead, then I know that the situation is worse again.
(5) The two major challenges were entering Westin and later, crossing the river to attack Urza Nalmath....

... My first entry into Westin, I was unable to hold the city, as the bandits killed the Peasants and burned the villages, while most of my army other than Deoran remained in fights east of the river. I attempted the scenario again and became more careful. I left only Sir Gerrick and a Javilineer at the east side of the river. I advanced units into Westin before Deoran, who reached the keep at turn 9. I used stronger units to hold the villages in Westin while I sent the Peasants northwest to take more villages....

... By recruiting some mermen, I made the second challenge easier, crossing the river and killing the leader by turn 21/28.
borsook

Post by borsook »

(1)Hard, 1.3.1
(3) Objectives were not really clear. There were enough indications that the city should be captured quickly, but only on turn 10/28 did I find out how quickly when the game ended. I personally do not like such imprecise time limit. Why can't somebody say something like "I doubt the city'll last for more than a day" a day before?
cph

Post by cph »

1) Normal, 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) Excellent
5) Footpads are nimble; had to be careful to keep injured units shielded from them.
6) 9
7) -
8 ) start gold ~200
garak

Post by garak »

1) hard 1.3.3
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? ok
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? if you are in the city it is very easy
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?maybe the leader should recrut sceletts from the beginning
WWWWolf

Post by WWWWolf »

Easy, 1.2.6
Uh... for someone who's played the game for a while, I'd say 6.
Very clear.
Very clear and appropriate for this kind of a scenario.
Basically, the scenario pulled some funny tricks out of its sleeves that I hadn't seen before (I haven't played a whole lot of these campaigns, see). Destruction of towns when the enemies reach them was something I really, really didn't take into account. The unpredictability of the enemy was a very nice touch here. =)

The footpads were also infuriatingly difficult to hit, but I guess that's just by design. "Stop dodging, dammit" =) Also, they had this really odd habit of walking to the piers on the other side of the castle; I don't know if this is a clever strategy or a not-so-clever strategy. (In theory, it's cool: The footpads walk a long way around, cross the waters, jump on the piers, and start ninja-attacking my commander. It might have looked cooler with fog of war on, but now, it just looks a bit crazy...)
9. The scenario itself is easy enough when you have the goal in mind, and when it inspired some rage, it usually was just directed at the annoying enemy commander, rather than the designer of this scenario. =) Very fun, in all.
I can't think of anything more constructive at this point. It's very fun as it is.