Scenario 1: Rooting out a Mage

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Konrad2

Re: Scenario 1: Rooting out a Mage

Post by Konrad2 » October 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am

LordWolfDan wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 1:48 pm
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- I'd go to add a line after attacking a ghoul: "So it is true, our weapons are not much of a use against these foul creatures. If only we had arcane weaponry provided by Baran!"
Ghouls have very human like resistances, e.g. they have 20% resistance vs arcane damage (just like humans). So that sentence wouldn't make any sense in that context.

Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Re: Scenario 1: Rooting out a Mage

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth » July 21st, 2019, 2:55 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.7 on Knight/Challenging.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4. I was never in danger of losing too many of my units, or of failing to win within the turn limit. The Necromancer can easily be taken out with a Horseman charge during the day, and Horsemen are fast enough to skirt around his army and pull that off. I tried to avoid abusing that though, and instead focused on building up some experience for my loyal units.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I did enjoy the dialogue and storyline here, with the dynamic being set up between the two brothers. Although the core storyline - undead attack - isn't particularly unique, the real focus here seems to be on Arvith and Baran's relationship, and the dialogue does well to set that up. It's all pretty well written, too.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Without any access to arcane or fire damage, dealing with the ghosts was frustrating. Arvith's charge can kill them off during the day, but at night there isn't much you can do against them.

The positioning of the villages along the south bank of the river makes poison particularly potent, as it forces units to withdraw for multiple turns at a time.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. The map is well set up to give you different tactical options, with both sides of the river offering a viable path forwards. The mix of units is unique, with chaotic footpads adding a new dimension to an otherwise lawful army. The dialogue adds some flavour to the battle. However, fighting the ghosts - and to a lesser degree, the bats - was frustrating.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing that I can think of.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.