Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Postby Remellion » December 28th, 2015, 2:05 pm

1. Played on Knight (Challenging), 1.12.5. (Also numerous times before on 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8.)

2. A difficulty of 3 maybe. Of course this is biased - I had 8 level 2s, 2 level 3s and the knowledge of where to go and what to do. For those new to this campaign or to Wesnoth, the fog and mysterious objective (what village?) would be the difficulties I imagine. Certainly not the impoverished orc (200 gold).

3. Objectives are not clear. Once the orc leader is found, killing him is obvious. But the initial one ("Find out what is happening in the village") is vague. The village in front of the starting keep? Or "just across those hills" (Arvith's initial dialogue) which to me suggests the orcs' encampment rather than the loyalists. Maybe mention somewhere in the dialogue that the village is further north, or indicate it to the player through the fog.

4. Dialogue is not much, but sufficient to indicate the story. The initial dialogue and objective can be confusing (village? Men coming forward?) but the story is clear. Also the overall plot in the campaign is written pretty well stylistically, just that some parts seem weaker (motives of the elves, relationship between undead and orcs.)

5. Challenges: My play was quite silly. I almost let Arvith die getting surprised out of the fog on turn 3, and could maybe have lost fewer units by being careful. It sufficed anyway. If the orcs had more gold/income, or concentrated all their units on me, it may have been harder.

6. Funnishness is 6 for me. An actually slightly dangerous enemy and fog of war to make it harder, even if it is still ultimately a short scenario.

7. Improvements for me would concern clarifying the objective, and making it more likely to talk to Reeve before the scenario ends. Send a messenger from Reeve (Bowman? Calvalryman?) down to the player at the start, or in the first few turns. As it is, it's possible for the player to go over the hills and slay the orc without ever seeing the village with Reeve dying quietly behind the fog.
Attachments
HdDF-Retour_au_village_revoir_la_partie.gz
(29.4 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Remellion

Postby SigurdFireDragon » January 13th, 2016, 11:53 pm

1. Played on Knight (Challenging) with 234 gold, 1.12.5. (Also once before on easy on 1.10)

2. Difficulty - 2. Unlike the previous scenarios, in this one you can proceed cautiously and still have plenty of time left over. Also had all my loyals except one, and most of them were leveled.

3. Objectives - They seemed clear enough when I played, but I can see the concern mentioned in the previous review.

4. Dialogue - Got the job done again.

5. Challenges: None really, other than making sure I didn't get careless.

6. Fun - 7

7. Improvements - For the Challenging difficulty level, either more gold for the orcs, less time, or both of those. As a starting point, I'd suggest If Orc gold is unchanged, a time limit of 16 turns would work better.

Additional thoughts:
It is a novice campaign, and should be one of the first few player try (on easy), but I'd recommend playing both AOI and TSG before this one, due to the first scenario. I replayed on challenging it to see how I've improved at the game. As such, I'd say being able to beat the campaign with only minimal or deliberate losses in each scenario (as I did) is appropriate for a novice campaign on challenging.
Attachments
AToTB-Return_to_the_Village_replay.gz
(30.38 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Postby Caladbolg » September 24th, 2016, 6:26 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.12.5., Challenging.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3.5. I think it's the easiest one considering that by now I had a few knights and just a few of their hits are enough to bring the orc leader down.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I understood the gist of it but the phrasing is a bit vague.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Alright.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Orcs popping out of the fog gave me a bit of a scare but nothing aside from that.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. A nice, simple scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Reduce time limit a bit.

Strategy: Recall everything useful. Most of the army heads north, a few aproaching the hills. I got Arvith pretty battered as he was the one closest to the hills and the enemies jumped out of the fog to attack. Most of the fighting occurs there. On the 6th turn, knights get close to the leader and most of the fighting had been resolved. In the end, two loyal knights give their lives attacking the leader and then an outlaw finishes him off.

Stats: 247 start gold, 7/24 turn, -2 end gold, 6/15 villages, 10 units, 7 income, 0 recruits, 12 recalls, 3 advancements (footpad -> outlaw, loyal swordsman -> royal guard, loyal spearman -> swordsman), 4 losses (footpad, 2 loyal knights and 1 regular one), 11 kills, -2% dmg dealt, -6% dmg received

Epilogue is nice too.

Whole campaign::
Attachments
AToTB-Return_to_the_Village_replay.gz
(25.36 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Caladbolg

Postby Kylix » January 12th, 2017, 5:35 pm

I think this campaign should be extended. 4 scenarios are too few.
Kylix

Postby The_Gnat » January 12th, 2017, 11:13 pm

I agree, in a way, however i believe this campaign being so short, is the point. For beginners or not full time wesnoth players, having something enjoyable while not too time consuming is very beneficial. In fact i believe this is the ideal first campaign (rather than HttT) because it gives a good picture of what wesnoth is without taking too much time.
The_Gnat

Previous

Return to A Tale of Two Brothers