Wesnoth Download Does Not Run - READ ME FIRST

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Wesnoth Download Does Not Run - READ ME FIRST

Post by Development Team »

Problem: I can’t figure out how to install/run wesnoth
  1. Don’t panic!
  2. You have probably downloaded the source code when you wanted the binary. Nevermind if you don’t know what those terms mean, just proceed to step 3.
  3. Identify your Operating System (OS). A good bet would be Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X or GNU/Linux.
  4. Look on the front page or the download page for the name you identified in step 3.
  5. Click the link to get the download. In the front page this link is named according to what you identified in step 3, and in the download page it’s the link directly beneath this name reading “Current version”.
  6. If you still can’t install or run it scan through the rest of this post and if nothing there helps post a thread asking for help. Be sure to inform us of any relevant information such as your OS, what version of Wesnoth you have downloaded, any error messages you get, whether you have installed custom content, etc.
Problem: The Wesnoth webpage says a new version has been released, but I can’t find any version that works

The Wesnoth Development team only releases source code. Binaries are made by volunteers and it can take some time before they are ready.

Your options are:
  1. Compile it yourself. Information here.
  2. Wait for a binary release. If you don’t know what the heck “compiling” means, we suggest waiting.
Problem: Wesnoth used to work, but suddenly refuses to start

This might come of several reasons, but one that seems to reoccur is that your preferences file may have become corrupted. If this is the case, you will get an error (Windows users should look Wesnoth log file, which can be located by following these instructions):

Code: Select all

Unterminated quoted string at <unknown>:331
The location of this file depends on your OS, and whether you have installed it in default locations. Please check the wiki for further information to find your preferences file. Move or delete this file and try starting the game again.

Problem: Parse error in .cfg files on launch

If you get “Error while loading configuration files: Missing closing tag [...]” or similar errors, make sure you haven’t installed a new version of the game on top of an existing installation. Make sure to always completely remove any previous version if you are installing to the same location every time.