Game Crashes Randomly

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Trizock

Game Crashes Randomly

Post by Trizock »

Well, it crashes...

Don't have to be in the game to play, normally crashes before then.

No idea why.
Battle for Wesnoth v1.0
Started on Wed Oct 26 22:40:24 2005

started game: 0
Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
found valid cache at 'C:/Program Files/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.0-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
locale could not be determined; defaulting to system locale
WARNING: setlocale() failed for .
started music
showing title screen...
Loading tips of day
title screen returned result
found valid cache at 'C:/Program Files/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.0-CAMPAIGN_HEIR_TO_THE_THRONE-EASY' using it
scenario: 'The_Bay_of_Pearls'
has snapshot: no
skipping...
error engine: player not found!
error display: could not open image ''
showing topic 'unit_Merman Fighter'

Post by Guest »

Battle for Wesnoth v1.0
Started on Thu Oct 27 22:53:12 2005

started game: 0
Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
no valid cache found. Writing cache to 'C:/Program Files/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.0-MEDIUM-NORMAL'
locale could not be determined; defaulting to system locale
WARNING: setlocale() failed for .
started music
showing title screen...
Loading tips of day
title screen returned result
no valid cache found. Writing cache to 'C:/Program Files/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.0-CAMPAIGN_HEIR_TO_THE_THRONE-EASY'
scenario: 'The_Bay_of_Pearls'
has snapshot: no
skipping...
error display: could not open image ''
showing topic 'unit_Troll Whelp'
scott

Post by scott »

It looks like the game is starting up normally. What EXACTLY are you doing when the game crashes? Do you mean the program quits completely or that it gives an error message about a campaign?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
PenguinZdravko

Post by PenguinZdravko »

My game too crashes! I'm running Ubuntu Linux 5.10. When I click the button for connecting the official server, it just not responds! I can't do anything, but my mouse moves. Help me, please!
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

PenguinZdravko wrote:My game too crashes! I'm running Ubuntu Linux 5.10. When I click the button for connecting the official server, it just not responds! I can't do anything, but my mouse moves. Help me, please!
That could just be a slow load... especially the first time you do it per session...
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

If Wesnoth freezes while connecting to multiplayer, there might be two reasons:

There is no active internet connection. This might be a windows related problem, i don't know about linux/Mac. But the program can't open an internet access by itself on my computer (Windows XP).

The server is down. That just happens every once in a while. In that case wait for some time and try again.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
PenguinZdravko

Post by PenguinZdravko »

Thanks for the help. I will try again.
ott-brokenISP

Post by ott-brokenISP »

It would be useful if reports of "crashes" actually described in detail what happened. To me, a crash is when the game terminates, for instance due to an assertion failure or division by zero. This is pretty serious and crashes usually get fixed really quickly by the devs.

None of the "crashes" described above seem to have resulted in the application quitting, and the error logs seem pretty normal for a running session. So unless more detail is provided no dev can do anything about the problem.

It's useful to distinguish between crashes, and the application freezing up. If it freezes up, it is extremely useful knowing how long you waited before deciding it had frozen up. Some people think that a 10 second pause constitutes a freeze, others will wait for 15 minutes before deciding the program has frozen.

Finally, if you are seeing something bad happen (crash, freeze, or some other problem) then please try to say exactly what you were doing when the problem happened. It is very important when trying to find problems to know that you were playing the third scenario of Heir to the Throne on your Windows box, using the Croatian translation, and that the game crashed when a dialogue box popped up. It is useful to know you were playing a multiplayer map with a custom era that your friend sent you, and an error popped up about Invalid Unit. It is completely useless to say "my game crashed" and expect anyone to help -- at best maybe someone will post asking for more information, but more likely the request will just get ignored.

-- ott
Trizock

Post by Trizock »

Crashes = Program quits/terminates with a message to send an error report.

Last time I did it, i had just looked up some info on one of the characters..

All happened in single player mode, and have not yet even played multi player.

What more info, can i provide, how do you want me to get you that additional info... and dont go hijacking my topic !
Trizock

Post by Trizock »

Windows XP
English
AMD 64
1 GIG
3.5 ghz
6600GT 128mb
appleide

Post by appleide »

Hmm, I remember that happened to me before (looking up a unit then crashes), but realised it was just some spelling errors in the unit description tag of one of the custom units.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

appleide wrote:Hmm, I remember that happened to me before (looking up a unit then crashes), but realised it was just some spelling errors in the unit description tag of one of the custom units.
:shock:
I think spelling errors in unit description can't cause any errors.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Trizock wrote: What more info, can i provide, how do you want me to get you that additional info... and dont go hijacking my topic !
He wasn't hijacking your topic, he was telling you how to do a proper error report. You are of course free to ignore him, with the most likely result of not getting any help at all.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

They both seem to have occured during the bay of pearls level....
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Disto

Post by Disto »

Trizock wrote:Windows XP
English
AMD 64
1 GIG
3.5 ghz
6600GT 128mb
The only thing that's wrong with that computer is the top one :twisted:
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth