Can't pass "Hasty Alliance" from "Heir to the

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

ott wrote:To continue playing:
  • replace your Hasty_Alliance.cfg file with this one, [1]
    remove your game cache files, [2]
    start the game, and
    load the end-of-scenario savegame from The Lost General.
When Hasty Alliance starts, the errors will no longer occur.

There were three illegal coordinates in the scenario: one was outside the map, one was in cavewall, and one specified a move of two hexes in one go. In the past these have been ignored, but the new stricter pathfinder in 0.9.2 choked on these.

[1] The location of this file depends on your operating system: use the "Find File" functions of your operating system if you don't know where it is. On Unix-type systems it is often in /usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/scenarios/Heir_To_The_Throne/Hasty_Alliance.cfg while on Mac OS X it is in a folder inside the application bundle (right click the program in the Finder, select "Show Package Contents").

[2] On a Unix-type system you can do rm ~/.wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache* and on Mac OS X the cache files are probably inside the ~/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/cache folder, remove all the files in there that have names that start with game.cfg-cache.
Well, I clicked on the link, and opened the relevant file in Textedit and copy-pasted the data. I then opened Wesnoth and tried to run my saved game, but I got this message "Error loading game configuration files: 'Missing closing tag for tag scenario at data/scenarios/Heir_To_The_Throne/Hasty_Alliance.cfg:1 included from data/campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne.cfg:19 included from data/game.cfg24 at data/scenario-test.cfg:254 included from data/game.cfg:1714' (The game will now exit)". Followed by, " The file you have tried to load is corrupt: 'Missing closing tag for tag scenario at data/scenarios/Heir_To_The_Throne/Hasty_Alliance.cfg:1 included from data/campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne.cfg:19 included from data/game.cfg24 at data/scenario-test.cfg:254 included from data/game.cfg:1714' ".

Then I double checked the instructions, and realized I didn't dump the cache. So I dumped the cache, and tried again. Still same message whenever I try to load a HttH game, but it doesn't quit unless I try to start HttH from the beginning.

I've tried re-replacing the new "Hasty Alliance" with the old one, and it let's me load games, but I still doesn't help me get past where the Orcs show up. :cry:

I'm running Wesnoth 9.2 on a 500Mhz G3 mac with OSX 10.3.9
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

ArtillaryGoat wrote:Well, I clicked on the link, and opened the relevant file in Textedit and copy-pasted the data.
This has most likely mucked up the file. Please follow the instructions -- replace the file with the one from CVS.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

Oh, thx, didn't realize it was a download. :oops: When I clicked on it it gave me the code.

Oh well, Hasty Alliance works now, thx much!
mcf

thanx!

Post by mcf »

tnx to you all, above all to ott: this was just what I was looking for!!!

- Marta -
dark_whitecleou625

IM A MAC USER....

Post by dark_whitecleou625 »

Pls help me in the hasty Alliance eroooors.....I dont know wht to do 1st but when i Double click the file it says choose application....so.....I dont know....but when I open the Application with textedit, I only saw are 5-10 lines of u and w but.....can I play the game thoroughly with the 0.9.1 version????(IM A MAC USER!!!!!!) :roll: :cry: :lol: :o :) :(
Please....I would like to appreciate to those who will mail me at dark_cleou93@yahoo.com something about WESNOTH!!!
scott

Re: IM A MAC USER....

Post by scott »

dark_whitecleou625 wrote:Pls help me in the hasty Alliance eroooors.....I dont know wht to do 1st but when i Double click the file it says choose application....so.....I dont know....but when I open the Application with textedit, I only saw are 5-10 lines of u and w but.....can I play the game thoroughly with the 0.9.1 version????(IM A MAC USER!!!!!!) :roll: :cry: :lol: :o :) :(
Ok take a deep breath.
1. Use VOWELS (a,e,i,o,u, and sometimes y).
2. Use PERIODS (they're used to separate sentences).
3. Less smilies, more decaf.

Ok, now please describe your problem in detail. What are you trying to do? What file are you clicking on? Do you understand the instructions? What do you mean by '5-10 lines of u and w'?

No one can help if we don't understand what you're talking about. Good communication helps everybody.

Here are the instructions.
1. Control-Click or Right-Click on this link: replacement file and select 'Download Linked File' or 'Save Linked File to the Desktop'

If you have OS 10.4, for some highly annoying reason it adds the extension .txt, which you should remove yourself. The filename should be Hasty_Alliance.cfg.

2. Control-Click or Right-Click on the Battle for Wesnoth program icon and select 'Show Package Contents'

3. Select 'Contents' > 'Resources' > 'data' > 'scenarios' > 'Heir to the Throne'

4. Drag the new version of Hasty_Alliance.cfg that you just downloaded to your desktop into the scenarios folder and replace the old version

If you have problems, please post back.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dark_whitecleou625

Post by dark_whitecleou625 »

Hey!!!!!! I said it cannot be modified....if you drag the Alliance.cfg, a dialog box will say cannot be modified!!!!
Please....I would like to appreciate to those who will mail me at dark_cleou93@yahoo.com something about WESNOTH!!!
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

(assuming 10.3; I don't know if others are the same) If you are a user with enough authority (you'll find out by trying), Get Info on Hasty_Alliance.cfg in the Finder (command-i), go to "Ownership and Permissions" (open the triangle if you need to), and set the permissions on the pull-down menu to "Read & Write". If you can't change it, open up Details from there and see who the owner is. If it isn't you, and you know some password, you can click on the lock and try to change the owner to you, in which case you will then be able to allow Read & Write. (Make sure of that for both Hasty_Alliance.cfg's.) Then try moving it.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
scott

Post by scott »

dark_whitecleou625 wrote:Hey!!!!!! I said it cannot be modified....if you drag the Alliance.cfg, a dialog box will say cannot be modified!!!!
I don't see where you said that, but I could be wrong. If you were the admin user on your computer you wouldn't get the error, so you'll have to go ask the admin user to make the change for you.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
vagabogina

Post by vagabogina »

had the same issue. used Scott's instructions. works swimmingly with 10.4
thanks!
Nairobi

Files are locked in Mac X version

Post by Nairobi »

Tried to replace the Hasty Alliance cfg file as instructed.

Program won't let me delete original file. Doesnt seem to be a way to unlock the files in OS X. ??
scott

Post by scott »

Are you the admin user or is someone else the admin user? If you are not the admin user, you have to go ask the admin user to make the change for you. If you are the admin user, give yourself permission to write over the file (select 'get info' from the file menu, then go fiddle with 'ownership and permissions').
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Something like

Code: Select all

cd /Applications/Battle\ for\ Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources
cd data/scenarios/Heir_To_The_Throne/
sudo mv ~/Desktop/Hasty_Alliance.cfg .
works fine on my system. This is typed from the commandline in Terminal, it will ask for your password to authorize it. This assumes you have downloaded the Hasty_Alliance.cfg file to your Desktop and your copy of the wesnoth application is in /Applications (modify the paths if this is not the case).
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.