Lucky Chinese players

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
gaojicainiao

Lucky Chinese players

Post by gaojicainiao »

I found that there are many Chinese users have a common problem.
After downloading any add-on which has .po translation file, the game will exit suddenly before entering the main menu.
What is worse? They will try to delete add-ons, but they don't know where the add-ons folder is. And the uninstall program(on Windows) can not delete user's data(including add-ons) correctly. (Chinese are accustomed to use Windows, it's difficult for us to learn and use GNU/Linux and it's softwares. Over 95% use Windows, GNU/Linux users are less than 1%.)
To solve it, just remove all .po files in add-ons folder, then it return normal.
Happens on both Windows 7 and Windows 10.
I don't know why yet. I have no such problem on both Windows 7 and debian based GNU/Linux. I don't believe the game have such a bug. I think their running environment causes it, maybe security softwares or anti-virus softwares.
I have a request for add-ons' authors: Before this get a good solution, use .mo file instead of .po file, keep .po files but compress them together for new translaters' work. (If you mind, just ignore.)(Fixed already.)
——————————————————————————————
(Later.)
I have found why.
The path of add-ons can not contain Chinese characters.(A lot of foreign softwares have such feature, including wesnoth, if the installation path contains Chinese character, wesnoth will crash at start up) Their user name of Microsoft Windows operating system may has Chinese characters. For example:C:\Users\用户名\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons If the path has Chinese characters and meanwhile there's .po file in add-ons, the game will crash at start up.
Last edited by gaojicainiao on June 23rd, 2020, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaojicainiao

Re: Unlucky Chinese players

Post by gaojicainiao »

No need to remove .po files, keep them, just don't use them.
And no need to replace all translation files, I found that it won't crash when there's no Chinese translation .po file but it have .po files of other languages which won't be read at start up. (No need to do now. Fixed.)
I think here are the languages which should be dealt :Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean. In short, the languages look like blocks.
Thank you!
Last edited by gaojicainiao on June 23rd, 2020, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If you're looking for this to be fixed, I'd suggest opening an issue on github with an example add-on that allows reproducing the issue.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

If you have found a problem in the wesnoth code please report it at https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues . If we know exactly what causes it it very likely that it will be fixed in the next wesnoth release .
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

Got it. I will explain in details about how will it happen. Thank you.
gaojicainiao

Re: Lucky Chinese players

Post by gaojicainiao »

Fixed. Bravo and thank wesnoth team! :lol: