Libvorbis.dll crashes ver 1.14.5 on win 7[edit]

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Arskeliss

Libvorbis.dll crashes ver 1.14.5 on win 7[edit]

Post by Arskeliss »

Hey everyone!

I have this issue, as stated in the topic title.

After the crash occurs, there this window referring about the itself. It says the cause is libvorbis.dll.
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wesnoth.exe
Application Version: 1.14.5.0
Application Timestamp: 5b9e2a2f
Fault Module Name: libvorbis-0.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 558f63e7
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 0001a061
I have read the logs, but there isn't any sign of error description, there looks everything fine.

It happened even when I have set the compatibility mode for Windows XP. Same error. Same crash.

Can you guys give me some tips on what should I do. Maybe there is some libraries my windows 7 missing or wring version or i don't know.

Please help me if you can, i would really love to play.

Kindly,
Arskeliss
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Re: Libvorbis.dll crashes ver 1.14.5 on win 7[edit]

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

C000001D is an illegal instruction exception. I'd start by removing and re-installing the Vorbis DLL and if that did not fix it, I'd re-install 1.14.5 from the original packages. You'll want to get rid of the application shims, like XP compatability, too.

There's been some recent work (read: past two days) on the Vorbis things. If you're building from source, you might want to snag a fresh copy of the external libraries and a current snapshot of the source kit.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this issue has just presented itself to me when updating to Wesnoth 1.14.7 on Steam on Win7.
The crash only happens when I try to play (my own) an add-on, the Ravagers - the game crashes with this error message after reaching "Starting game" phase in the load screen.
Crash message:
Note, it's only this campaign! I can start and play any mainline, and any other add-on (that I've tried. I can't speak for all though). I've asked around in the campaign forum, and nobody else has this issue. And I only have it on this PC, on Linux there is no problem, so I guess it's something with my build. But why does it only crash when starting a particular campaign?
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm But why does it only crash when starting a particular campaign?
This is just a wild guess, but could it be a specific music track that's triggering it? (since that campaign has its own music)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

gnombat wrote: July 20th, 2019, 2:37 pm
WhiteWolf wrote: July 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm But why does it only crash when starting a particular campaign?
This is just a wild guess, but could it be a specific music track that's triggering it? (since that campaign has its own music)
Actually, yes it seems to work fine if I remove the [binary_path]'s to the music. At least something to go on with, I'll try to isolate the problem and see which track or which UMC causes this.

EDIT:
It's not about a certain track - it's about including tracks at all. I also tried the New Order campaign, and that causes the crash as well. The campaigns only work if I remove all [binary_path]'s AND ALL {EXTRA_SCNEARIO_MUSIC }'s. Trying to include any UMC music into a campaign causes libvorbis to crash.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The particularly strange thing is that there hasn't been any change to how Wesnoth handles music, and also that everyone on Windows should be getting the same build from Steam. It might be related to being a non-english system language I suppose, since there have been previously been other issues with handling other character sets, but that'd still be odd.

If possible, the best solution would be if you could build Wesnoth from source with debugging enabled, since this problem doesn't seem to be easily reproducible for others and this would give a lot more information on what's happening.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Pentarctagon wrote: July 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm If possible, the best solution would be if you could build Wesnoth from source with debugging enabled, since this problem doesn't seem to be easily reproducible for others and this would give a lot more information on what's happening.
I'm afraid that's not really possible - I've never built from source, and I don't have any compiler environments to do it :(

There's been some interesting developments though. This is how things are:
If I do this

Code: Select all

[scenario]
    id=some_scenario
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}
    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC foo.ogg}
[/scenario]
It works fine.
If I do this:

foo.cfg:

scenario.cfg:
[scenario]
    id=some_scenario
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}
    {~path to foo.cfg}
[/scenario]
Then it crashes. Note: it doesn't matter for {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}, that works fine both in scenario.cfg and foo.cfg. It's just about {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC}.
So I think the problem is not with how Wesnoth handles music, it's about how it handles paths. Which is something I know almost nothing about, but maybe this gives someone ideas about what's going on?

Anyway, concerning the campaign, the best I can do is remove the extra music playlist from my scenario header and insert them straight into the scenario files.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:46 am If I do this

[scenario]
    id=some_scenario
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}
[/scenario]
It works fine.
Does it actually work? I would have expected it not to add foo.ogg to the playlist. You see, if you open the definitions of the macros, EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC starts with [+event], because it's designed to be used after {SCENARIO_MUSIC} which ends in an [event] tag; but {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST} does not end with an [event] tag, so this won't add foo.ogg to the default music playlist. (And if there's a preceding [event] tag you haven't shown us, that tag will get foo.ogg.)
WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:46 am If I do this:

foo.cfg:

scenario.cfg:
[scenario]
    id=some_scenario
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}
    {~path to foo.cfg}
[/scenario]
Then it crashes. Note: it doesn't matter for {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}, that works fine both in scenario.cfg and foo.cfg. It's just about {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC}.
I tried this but I still don't get any crash. Can you please post a complete minimal example, an actual addon that crashes? If needed, put it on github or upload it to the addon server.
WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:46 am Anyway, concerning the campaign, the best I can do is remove the extra music playlist from my scenario header and insert them straight into the scenario files.
You might still be able to use macros, though?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

josteph wrote: July 21st, 2019, 3:18 pm
WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:46 am If I do this

[scenario]
    id=some_scenario
    {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST}
[/scenario]
It works fine.
Does it actually work? I would have expected it not to add foo.ogg to the playlist. You see, if you open the definitions of the macros, EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC starts with [+event], because it's designed to be used after {SCENARIO_MUSIC} which ends in an [event] tag; but {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST} does not end with an [event] tag, so this won't add foo.ogg to the default music playlist. (And if there's a preceding [event] tag you haven't shown us, that tag will get foo.ogg.)
I don't know - I just tested it to see if it crashes, it might not add the extra music.
In method #2, in foo.cfg there are other prestart events before the music addition, see spoiler below.
josteph wrote: July 21st, 2019, 3:18 pm I tried this but I still don't get any crash. Can you please post a complete minimal example, an actual addon that crashes? If needed, put it on github or upload it to the addon server.
That's the point - it seems to be just one PC. I just tried on a third computer - also Win7, download from Steam, and everything works flawlessly. I asked around in my campaign's topic, and none seems to have this issue, it's just me, and on only one computer. Everywhere else they work fine.
There are examples are live on the add-ons server right now: my The Ravagers 1.1.21 and The New Order 1.2.19 by szopen both cause a crash, and they seem to have in common that they use method #2 to include extra music in scenarios.
In the spoiler I've included the complete files, just to be sure.
Complete files:
You might still be able to use macros, though?
Err...no.

utils.cfg:
#define CUSTOM_MUSIC
{SCENARIO_MUSIC whatever.ogg}
{EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC whatever2.ogg}
#enddef

In main.cfg include the utils.cfg

any scenario.cfg:
[scenario]
    id=scenario
    {CUSTOM_MUSIC}
[/scenario]
This crashes just the same. :hmm: My conclusion is, any kind of additional music with {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC } can only be called straight in the [scenario], trying to reference it in any way will cause libvorbis to crash, on this PC.

EDIT:
And the problem only seems to persist in UMC. I tried including extra music in a mainline campaign scenario (Elves Besieget, HttT) - and it works fine. :augh: So it seems the problems is only with {~add-ons/...} inclusions and not with {campaigns/...} ones?...
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 6:47 pm There are examples are live on the add-ons server right now: my The Ravagers 1.1.21 and The New Order 1.2.19 by szopen both cause a crash, and they seem to have in common that they use method #2 to include extra music in scenarios.
I understand that there are two 20MB campaigns that crash, but I'd like to have a 10KB campaign that crashes, if possible. That's why I asked for a minimal example. See https://stackoverflow.com/help/minimal- ... le-example
WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 6:47 pm And the problem only seems to persist in UMC. I tried including extra music in a mainline campaign scenario (Elves Besieget, HttT) - and it works fine. :augh: So it seems the problems is only with {~add-ons/...} inclusions and not with {campaigns/...} ones?...
Have you been able to get a mainline campaign to crash?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

josteph wrote: July 21st, 2019, 7:38 pm That's why I asked for a minimal example. See https://stackoverflow.com/help/minimal- ... le-example
I see, I see, sorry. There they are:
Minimal_Crash.zip
This is method #2, including the music from a separate file with a {~addons/...} inclusion into the scenario.
(7.67 MiB) Downloaded 457 times
Minimal_Crash_Macro.zip
This is when I try to include the music with a macro, defined in a separate file.
(7.67 MiB) Downloaded 455 times
For me on this computer, both methods display the "Hello World" in the [story] successfully, then clicking "Skip" or the arrow to start the game result in the libvorbis crash.
Have you been able to get a mainline campaign to crash?
No. I've been trying all these methods in HttT, and it doesn't crash.
Now I'll try to "mainlineize" the Crashtest, see what that does.

EDIT: I tried that, and now I am very confused. If I put the Crashtest into the mainline campaign directories, and redo the referenceing accordingly (~addons/ -> {campaigns/}), it still crashes, however, trying to do the very same thing in HttT files does not. I compared the two at least ten times, and I'm doing the same thing, including the same music_utils.cfg. In Crashtest, it crashes, in HttT, it works fine.
This is what I put among the mainline campaigns:
Minimal_Crash_Mainline.zip
This crashes just the same.
(7.67 MiB) Downloaded 476 times
And this is what I did to HttT:
Spoiler:
This is very, very confusing. I have no idea what is going on and why.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 8:02 pm For me on this computer, both methods display the "Hello World" in the [story] successfully, then clicking "Skip" or the arrow to start the game result in the libvorbis crash.
Thanks, that's perfect :D

Minimal_Crash_Macro does not load: error config: Macro/file '~add-ons/Minimal_Crash/utils' is missing at ~add-ons/Minimal_Crash_Macro/_main.cfg:36. I renamed the directory to Minimal_Crash and then it still failed to load, with error general: Failed to load the scenario (that's a really poor error message...)

Minimal_Crash loads, when I skip the story I successfully enter the mainmap. Thanks for spelling that out: earlier you said the error message happens at "Starting game", which is before the story, so in my previous test I exited as soon as the first story screen showed up.

The computer that the crashes happen on, what might be unique about it? Does it run a different language, or does it have a lot of addons installed, or does it have a different version of libvorbis or libsdl, for example?

You're welcome to open an issue on github, too.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 21st, 2019, 8:02 pm This is very, very confusing. I have no idea what is going on and why.
It's a complete guess, but: the file music_utils.cfg doesn't end with a newline. The very last byte of the file is }, not newline. Could you try adding some empty lines to the end of that file and see if that helps?
Mawmoocn

Post by Mawmoocn »

I guess this crash issue is specific for old windows laptops(2004-2009?) maybe due to old software/hardware and the game/OS either doesn’t recognize them or specific hardware related issues for windows/sound software.

I was playing with an older laptop with Windows XP and installed Wesnoth 1.12.6 and it crashes when you have music enabled. I think this issue has carried over to newer versions but I can’t test it if does affect linux, as that laptop was broken.

Probably that or something else...

Edit: I knew this because I was able to access the screen and whenever the music starts at the tutorial, it crashes immediately. I was able to play without sound software installed, though I’m not sure about this, since it was long ago.

Edit2: I think it could be a RAM issue, as old laptops often have low RAM and probably, consume more RAM when loading/caching music files.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

josteph wrote: July 21st, 2019, 8:32 pm Minimal_Crash_Macro does not load: error config: Macro/file '~add-ons/Minimal_Crash/utils' is missing at ~add-ons/Minimal_Crash_Macro/_main.cfg:36. I renamed the directory to Minimal_Crash and then it still failed to load, with error general: Failed to load the scenario (that's a really poor error message...)
Right, sorry, I forgot to replace some path names in main. Your Failed to load scenario probably comes from the map data, if you didn't replace the path there.
Here it is "fixed":
Minimal_Crash_Macro2.zip
"Fixed"
(7.67 MiB) Downloaded 506 times
For the next part: this crashes after the story Hello World text.

josteph wrote: Thanks for spelling that out: earlier you said the error message happens at "Starting game", which is before the story, so in my previous test I exited as soon as the first story screen showed up.
No, sorry, I was vague on that one:
  • If I try to include music from another [binary_path], we crash before the story.
  • If I just try to include music from the campaign's own path, like in the minimal tests, we get as far as the story, and crash when clicking Skip or the arrow.
josteph wrote: The computer that the crashes happen on, what might be unique about it? Does it run a different language, or does it have a lot of addons installed, or does it have a different version of libvorbis or libsdl, for example?
Nothing really special. The system language is Hungarian, but I have Wesnoth on other HU computers without issues. I've removed other add-ons for this duration.
Wesnoth is a Steam build with libsdl 2.0.8, I don't know how to locate the libvorbis version. In Features is says legacy bidirectional rendering is red, if that helps...
In the meantime I downloaded 1.12.6 from sourceforge, and the issue is the same as with the 1.14.7 Steam build.
josteph wrote: July 21st, 2019, 8:39 pm It's a complete guess, but: the file music_utils.cfg doesn't end with a newline. The very last byte of the file is }, not newline. Could you try adding some empty lines to the end of that file and see if that helps?
That did nothing :(
Mawmoocn wrote: July 21st, 2019, 9:04 pm I guess this crash issue is specific for old windows laptops(2004-2009?) maybe due to old software/hardware and the game/OS either doesn’t recognize them or specific hardware related issues for windows/sound software.

Edit: I knew this because I was able to access the screen and whenever the music starts at the tutorial, it crashes immediately. I was able to play without sound software installed, though I’m not sure about this, since it was long ago.

Edit2: I think it could be a RAM issue, as old laptops often have low RAM and probably, consume more RAM when loading/caching music files.
Sadly it's a desktop and quite all right at that - it's my brothers gaming PC (that's the reason why sometimes I can only answer after a few days), plenty of RAM and disc space. It does have a lot of stuff installed in excess of TB's, but there is more than enough space left.
System specs if it helps: