Finding add-on data in files

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Rhylla

Finding add-on data in files

Post by Rhylla »

I recently decided I wanted to replay revansurik's A Song of Fire campaign on 1.12.6 and was having a blast until I hit a bug. It's a fairly simple one that just requires me to go in and edit one of the files so I wasn't all that concerned - until I realized I couldn't find the file.

Bear with me. I know how to access files. I found the Wesnoth 1.12.6 file just fine, clicked on it, went into data, and then stopped. I didn't see an add-on file anywhere, and now that I've looked for two hours I still haven't found it. The campaign file just has the mainline campaigns like Legend of Wesmere, nothing else. I've searched every file under 1.12.6 for the add-ons and haven't been able to find anything. When I went into my 1.14 files, I didn't see the add-on file either so I'm guessing I must be missing something extremely obvious, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I've looked through the wiki and a bunch of other users having similar problems, but none of that seems to be helping. I've done everything they suggested, like going in through virtual store to 1.12.6. The only thing I find there are two text documents called stderr.txt or something like that. I've tried redownloading 1.12.6 in hopes that it would help but it's apparently been archived so...I don't know what else to do. I love revansurik's campaigns and not being able to play them anymore would really suck. If anyone can help me out, it'd be much appreciated.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Finding add-on data in files

Post by josteph »

For 1.12, run wesnoth-1.12 --userdata-path in a terminal, that will tell you where the files are installed. If that fails for any reason, just search your entire home directory for a file called _main.cfg (with the underscore). The file will be under your home directory, not in the same data folder that the mainline campaigns are under.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Rhylla wrote: December 30th, 2018, 10:27 pm If anyone can help me out, it'd be much appreciated.
in windows 7, addons in 1.12 were here: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\userdata\data\add-ons
in windows 7, addons in 1.14 are here: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons

the core files in 1.12 were here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\data\core
and 1.14 was here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.1\data\core

the saves for 1.12 were here: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\userdata\saves
the saves for 1.14 here: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\saves

So apart from just searching you could check your VirtualStore folder as mentioned above :)
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

enclave wrote: December 31st, 2018, 3:35 pm in windows 7, addons in 1.12 were here: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\userdata\data\add-ons
That's true only if you run wesnoth.exe directly - normally, when you install Wesnoth on Windows, the shortcut created by the installer uses the --config-dir option to place the saves in the user's Documents directory. In that case they would be located at C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12\data\add-ons.
Rhylla

Post by Rhylla »

gnombat wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:11 pm
enclave wrote: December 31st, 2018, 3:35 pm in windows 7, addons in 1.12 were here: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\userdata\data\add-ons
That's true only if you run wesnoth.exe directly - normally, when you install Wesnoth on Windows, the shortcut created by the installer uses the --config-dir option to place the saves in the user's Documents directory. In that case they would be located at C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12\data\add-ons.
Yeah, when I looked for the add-ons using Virtual Store I couldn't find them, like I said in the original post. That was partially why I was lowkey freaking out about this - everybody in the wiki and forums said to go through Virtual Store, but when I did I found nothing :augh: Going through Program Files (x86) got me similar results of nothing useful.

I just tried getting there through Users/Username/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.12/data/add-ons and I found it! I'm guessing the add-ons files must be hidden by default, since searching my pc for add-ons and the shell:local appdata thing didn't work for me. Thank you so much gnombat!