Game lags

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
kartacha

Game lags

Post by kartacha »

Half an hour ago I played for the first time on my new Windows 10 PC. It is second gen Ryzen 7 build which should not have issues running the game. I am recording the game but the processor usage stays below 10% all the time.

I started the Heir to the Throne campaign and the first scenario went well. However, the second mission I started experiencing some crackles in the sound. The game lagged and once it even white screened me with "Not Responding" for two seconds. It happened in the second scenario. Once I got to the third mission it started crackling more and my theory that it was just a heavy scenario to load failed. At least it did not white screen me but the crackling got more often and annoying, at some point once each 6-7 seconds for a brief period of time.

I had to stop the recording. I plan to continue this campaign tomorrow, the 10th for me. I recorded on Windows 7, both 1.12 and 1.14 previously on a much less capable machine and had no issues at all. Hope I do not need to play on another PC since here my recordings can be of a much higher quality.

Currently I am playing Battle for Wesnoth v1.14.5 (48bd45d-Modified) the Steam edition windowed 1600x900.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Game lags

Post by josteph »

Can you try disabling animated terrain in preferences and see if that helps? Those scenarios have a lot of water hexes. If that doesn't help try disabling music/sound in case the problem is in the audio subsystem.

P.S. If you're recording please consider posting the replay savefiles as well!
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

No way that I will disable music and sounds as these are the soul of the game and my recordings would suffer if I do. I will try disabling the animated terrain if the problem continues to occur but I am not sure that it is the case. My PC should not struggle with those like...at all. I thought it maybe somehow related to the version of the game and how it works with Windows 10. I am not sure about that though. This is the only thing that changed in terms of software setup for me. From hardware standpoint my new PC is far superior than the previous one.
Also, I now remember that it started happening after I accidnetly activated the Radeon overtaly with Alt+R. I am not sure if it started immediately after or a lot later though. I set the hotkey to something that I will never use and will check now.

Also, what do you mean by to post the replay savefiles? You mean here? Will that telegraph any information? Are not they just replaying only the movement and not what actually happened?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

See this as well.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

In fact I think found where the issue was. At least after the change I had not experienced any lags. It was the resolution or least so I think. 1600x900 used to be laggy and the game was even to not responding at times. When I downscaled to 1280x720 it all works fine now...at least for now.
I can still upload the save file if you feel that will help you locate the issue (although I am really not sure it will).
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

kartacha wrote: October 16th, 2018, 10:58 pm No way that I will disable music and sounds as these are the soul of the game and my recordings would suffer if I do.
I didn't mean to disable it permanently. I just meant, disable it temporarily to let us know whether the problem persists whilst the settings are disabled. It was just a way to understand what the problem is so we might fix it.
kartacha wrote: October 16th, 2018, 10:58 pm Also, what do you mean by to post the replay savefiles? You mean here? Will that telegraph any information? Are not they just replaying only the movement and not what actually happened?
This isn't about the bug now but about your recordings. If you upload the savefile then people can download it, watch it in their wesnoth, play the situations you got into, etc. It's not a replacement to the video, it's an addition. People post their savefiles all the time.
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

Hmm, I may do that. About the recordings.

Also, downscaling the resolution did not work. It still continues to do the same thing. I will try with a non-Steam version now and if it keeps on happening I will go to my Windows 7 laptop and try to make do with it.

Also, if I disable the sound I am almost sure that I would not notice the issue happening. In only two moments (for about 5 hours of playing) the game really froze. Most of the time it just lags for what feels like a single frame (1/30 of a second for example) and the sound is the only tool that allow me to notice it.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Maybe there's a background job that wakes up every five hours and causes the jitter?
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The only lag I may experience every now and then is if there are really lots of units on the map and the computer is doing turns for the factions.
enclave

Post by enclave »

kartacha wrote: October 16th, 2018, 10:58 pm From hardware standpoint my new PC is far superior than the previous one.
You mean the video card on this one is much better as well? All the drivers for audio cards and video cards updated too?
kartacha

Post by kartacha »

Yes. All is much better, the drivers are up to date. I am playing 1920x1080 on the non-Steam version with no issues whatsoever. It seems that the Steam version was to blame.