Wesnoth launch issues PLEASE HELP

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
elirum123

Wesnoth launch issues PLEASE HELP

Post by elirum123 »

I receive this notification when I launch I am unsure of how to fix this
---------------------------
Battle for Wesnoth
Log relocation failed.

Runtime error: Permission denied (13)
New log file path: C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14/logs/wesnoth-20180907-173247-1896.log
Old log file path: NUL

This may indicate an issue with your Wesnoth launch configuration. If the problem persists, contact the development team for technical support, including the full contents of this message (copy with CTRL+C).
OK
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Wesnoth launch issues PLEASE HELP

Post by Pentarctagon »

Try disabling OneDrive for that directory, otherwise antivirus software might be the problem.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
elirum123

Post by elirum123 »

thankyou the issue was my antivirus was blocking the launch so I made it enable battle for wesnoth to change the launch and update it
Trowaman90

Post by Trowaman90 »

I'm having the same issue. I'm on Win8.1 I've added the game version 1.14.11.0 to my Bitdefender 2020 firewall of approval but the same message shows up . One drive is off but I might have office 360 installed but its in the separate programs 2013 version I think. What do I do to get this error to go away? Thanks. Its never ran succsefully.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The issue wouldn't be with the firewall, it would be that your antivirus is preventing the modification of the folder that Wesnoth is trying to use. You can try temporarily disabling Bitdefender to see if the problem goes away, and if it does, there is somewhere else you'll need to add Wesnoth as an allowed program in order for it to be able to run.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Trowaman90

Post by Trowaman90 »

Oh wow thanks for the fast reply I didn't expect that! I did turn off my Bitdefender and the problem was still there I also went into my mygames folder and unchecked read only on all folders but it still has the same error. :/ I will note if this helps at all. The game is installed on another drive that is not the one windows is using but the error path shows the game on the same drive cause of how windows does saves in the mygames folder. Please advise further.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You can try with different saves location viewtopic.php?p=653157#p653157
Trowaman90

Post by Trowaman90 »

Thanks so much that fixed my game and I played a multiplayer one with my best friend! I made the shortcut and used what that post said to do! the A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\wesnoth\wesnoth.exe --userdata-dir=.\userdata --userconfig-dir .\userdata in the target of the shortcut. Which did work for my game that wasn't installed on the same drive as windows and while i had bitdefender 2020 and windows 365 installed. Its a fun game love its style of art and cool hero based strategy :D