Windows Key No Longer Minimizes from Fullscreen

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
name

Windows Key No Longer Minimizes from Fullscreen

Post by name »

On windows 7 when wesnoth v1.14.2 (and v1.14.1) is in fullscreen mode, pressing the Windows Key will no longer minimize the wesnoth window to give you back access to the desktop and other running programs. It did do this back in the 1.12.x series.

Hitting the windows key will cause the taskbar alone to appear but clicking on any of the other running programs on it will not make them visible or minimize the wesnoth screen even though it does switch focus to the other program so any keyboard command go to it instead of wesnoth.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Windows Key No Longer Minimizes from Fullscreen

Post by Iris »

That might be because in 1.12 fullscreen mode was implemented using a real fullscreen mode, whereas in 1.14 it’s actually windowed borderless.

No idea about whether this particular consequence of the change can be fixed since it’s not my code, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Good explaination, shadowm. Thanks.
Please, please, change that thing back to like it always has been before. It is really annoying, that one cannot switch easily from (pseudo-) fullscreen to desktop.
Please
I like beavers.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

You can with alt+tab.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Not sure.
alt+tab opens a preview window of already running programs, but doesn't show the desktop (from where i have shortcuts to start programs that are not running yet).
Or am i wrong?
Ofc i can use several desktops, with one only having BfW on it, but that is less comfotable to use ("user friendly") than the old behaviour (with win-key).
I like beavers.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

If you *really* want to go to the desktop, you can either use a second desktop, or click the "show desktop" notch in the bottom right of the screen (far right of the taskbar). Or just play in windowed mode.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

click the "show desktop" notch in the bottom right of the screen (far right of the taskbar)
I had the same issue as OP and this doesn't seem to work either. What works for me is using win+d to display taskbar and then win+m. win+m followed by win+d also works. It's not that much of a hassle, but still...
name

Post by name »

I found that Alt-Tab, Show desktop and Win+M+Win+D all seem to unreliably minimize the fullscreen wesnoth window. At best, as soon as you click or do anything, the wesnoth window takes back control over the screen.

The nice thing about being able to minimize wesnoth, was that multiplayer games (especially those involving more than two players) tend to take quite a long time to go through a single turn. So while waiting for your next turn, you can get something done elsewhere on your computer while wesnoth sits patiently minimized on the taskbar.

You can still do this in windowed mode of course. It is just that fullscreen is much nicer and easier to look at when your turn does come around again.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I don't see why you can't just use alt+tab and go to another app you want to use.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Not sure, if alt+tab has some preferences to change somewhere.
An example from my everyday living: i'm playing a game (as name mentioned above, other players turns take longer and longer), and i decide to make use of the waiting time, to exercise some keyboard playing. I have a shortcut on desktop, to start the music programs, automatically the project files with the song i practice and the sounds and volume settings prepared. But i cannot just simplyopen that link to project from desktop (not start menu), because alt+tab only shows running apps.
Know what i mean?
I like beavers.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

You could start the app beforehand....
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
name

Post by name »

So should this be treated as a bug or considered a necessary byproduct of the user interface design, then?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I don't think this is a bug, no. I don't even think the old behavior is something we explicitly set. I'm also not even sure if using the old fullscreen method (which we don't want, for various reasons) would restore the behavior.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!