Ubuntu 16.04 Unable to lunch the game from Steam

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Kente

Ubuntu 16.04 Unable to lunch the game from Steam

Post by Kente »

Hi, i downloaded the game on Steam, but when i lunch the game i got the following error
An error occurred while updating Battle of Wesnoth (missing executable):
/home/my_user/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/wesnoth/wesnoth.exe
See the Steam support site for more information
when i open the folder written in the error, i can find a "Wesnoth" and a "Wesnothd" executable. I tryed to rename "Wesnoth" in "Wesnoth.exe", but when i lunch again Wesnoth from Steam, the game will download again the "Wesnoth" file, then it will not start but this time the error will not show up.
I'm not sure what to do.
Some more info i'm using Ubuntu 16.04.04 LTS (the last with Unity), my laptop is 32bit, Steam Runtime Version steam-runtime-beta-release_2017-10-05
I tried to do generate a game logs (following this link viewtopic.php?t=46166) but i can't find any Wesnoth.log on my Home folder.

thanks for any help
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Unable to lunch the game from Steam

Post by Pentarctagon »

Have you tried having Steam validate the files? Steam shouldn't be downloading anything ending with ".exe" on linux in the first place though. I assume you aren't running Steam through Wine.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Kente

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Unable to lunch the game from Steam

Post by Kente »

Pentarctagon wrote: May 7th, 2018, 11:26 pm Have you tried having Steam validate the files? Steam shouldn't be downloading anything ending with ".exe" on linux in the first place though. I assume you aren't running Steam through Wine.
yes, i tried to validate the files and i am running the native Steam for Linux. Anyway, i had to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04, now i will see if (for some reasons) it will work.

edit: i tryed again to lunch Wesnoth from Steam, after a fresh re-install of the OS, but i still get the same message