Crash in 1.13.11/1.13.12 on TRoW-7 Return to Oldwood

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
MathBrush

Crash in 1.13.11/1.13.12 on TRoW-7 Return to Oldwood

Post by MathBrush »

In both 1.13.11 and in 1.13.12 (loading a save from 1.13.11), I cannot start Scenario 7 of The Rise of Wesnoth. It says
The error message is:
Image doesn't fit on canvas.

When reporting the bug please include the following error message:
Condition 'as_int>=0' failed at src\gui\core\canvas.cpp:1041 in function 'dimension_validation'.
Extra development information: Image 'portraits/rithrandil-winter.png', y=-24
I'm fullscreen on a Windows laptop.

Starting a new campaign of TRoW and using debug to travel to scenario 7 has the same outcome. Surely I'm not the only one to play Rise of Wesnoth on 1.13.11 or 1.13.12, so I don't know why this is showing up on my computer.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Crash in 1.13.11/1.13.12 on TRoW-7 Return to Oldwood

Post by octalot »

I can't reproduce the crash on Linux, but a note to anyone debugging this: S07 is broken if you just do a :debug :n from the start of the campaign without triggering an event in S02. Logged as #2752.

MathBrush, does the first scenario of Delfador's Memoirs also crash for you? Both it and TRoW S07 are story cutscenes, which use Cutscene_Minimal to have units on a map like a combat scenario, but hiding the combat UI elements.

BTW, it's possible that you are the first to play this campaign on 1.13.11/1.13.12. At least one other (LoW) had an unavoidable defeat bug in 1.13.11, and 1.13.12 has only been announced this weekend.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

I can't reproduce this either on Win7 BfW 1.13.12

@MathBrush are you loading a mid-scenario save or Start of Scenario save? Give the S07 start of scenario save a try if you haven't
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

The crash originally occurred in 1.13.11. I don't have a mid-scenario save, since it's a talking only scene.

After the crash occurred, I loaded the same game in 1.13.12. The crash occurred again. Then I tried the campaign fresh in 1.13.12, and I used debug cn to go to Return to Oldwood, where the crash recurred with the same message (about the portrait being the wrong size).

This is the second time I've had a non-reproducible bug, so I suspect my system is somehow at fault. I will be more cautious before posting bug reports in the future for that reason.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

MathBrush wrote: March 26th, 2018, 4:22 am I don't have a mid-scenario save, since it's a talking only scene.
:doh: that's right. oops

what resolution is your monitor/system at & what resolution are you running the game at? & are you on full screen or not?
and
have you tried redownloading the installer & reinstalling?
Those are the only other things I can think of at the moment that might help/identify something
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I used debug to get to S7 and got the exact same error message in Mathbrush's first post. I'm using Windows 10 fullscreen, running wesnoth at 1280x720.
EDIT: wesnoth version 1.13.12

It looks like the portraits are too tall to fit on the screen - both rithrandil.png and rithrandil-winter.png have dimensions 500 x 727, so shrinking those portraits should fix it.