Crashes upon opening "load"

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Eru_Iluvatar

Crashes upon opening "load"

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.6, and trying to play Wesnoth 12.6 (and I've also tried 12.5). I had set my auto-saves to infinite and hadn't bothered to clear them out, so I was starting to have a ton of them, and it was making the game really slow whenever I tried to pull up the load page. Everything else, including actually loading a game, was perfectly fine, but just actually opening the list of saved games. So I decided to clean it out a bit, and deleted a hundred saves or so, and decided that I would delete a few dozen every time I loaded a game, so that I would gradually clear out the files and increase the speed. I then went to preferences and changed max autosaves from infinite to 60, but this didn't seem to make any difference, including after quitting out and reopening. I then loaded my most recent game, played one turn, and then had to close out.
The next day, when I tried to open the list of saved games, it froze briefly and then crashed. I tried multiple times and this still happened, without ever pulling up the saved games. I went to preferences and set max autosaves back to infinite, but this made no difference. I tried to start a couple different new campaigns, both mainline and add-on, but the game crashed as soon as it got to the first save, when the objectives would have popped up. I tried deleting Wesnoth from my computer and redownloading, but the redownloaded version still contained all my add-ons and preferences, etc, and crashed in the same way. I downloaded the latest 13.x, but it didn't have many of the campaigns I wanted to play, and had some other issues to be expected with development models, so I got rid of it. I tried wiping every bit of Wesnoth off my computer, but after redownloading from the website it still had the same issue. Most recently, I tried downloading 12.5 instead, but it also has the same problem. Most recently, I tried removing all the add-on campaigns which I had completed, but the game still crashed when I tried to get to the saved games.
So basically, what should I do? Is there a way for Wesnoth to "forget" what I've done, kind of like a factory reset, so I could simply start from scratch in terms of my campaigns and add-ons, etc, and remove all saves? Is there some other solution, besides just playing on 13.x?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Crashes upon opening "load"

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can find your userdata directory by following these instructions, so you could try moving all of your saves somewhere else. You could also try moving your preferences file, as well as deleting the save_index file.

Additionally, it would be useful to be able to see if anything gets logged after crashing. The instructions for finding your log file are here.

It would also be helpful if you posted the issues you encountered with 1.13 - significantly fewer people play the development version, and even obvious problems can be missed if nobody reports them :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

It popped up a bunch of errors which may or may not be related when I initially opened Wesnoth. Upon clicking load, it just logged out.
log file
Last login: Sun Dec 10 01:47:17 on console
Colemans-Air:~ colemanmaberry$ /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Wesnoth ; exit;
Battle for Wesnoth v1.12.5
Started on Sat Dec 30 13:52:15 2017

Automatically found a possible data directory at /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources

Data directory: /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources
User configuration directory: /Users/colemanmaberry/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.12
User data directory: /Users/colemanmaberry/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.12
Cache directory: /Users/colemanmaberry/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.12/cache
Checking video mode: 1440x806x32...
setting mode to 1440x806x32
20171230 13:52:20 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Trapped/translations', skipping textdomain
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetFont: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetFontSize: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetTextMatrix: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSaveGState: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetCompositeOperation: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextFillRects: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetRGBFillColor: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextShowGlyphsAtPoint: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetFont: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetFontSize: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetTextMatrix: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSaveGState: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetCompositeOperation: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextFillRects: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetRGBFillColor: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:52:22 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextShowGlyphsAtPoint: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetFont: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetFontSize: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetTextMatrix: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSaveGState: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetCompositeOperation: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextFillRects: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextSetRGBFillColor: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
Dec 30 13:53:08 Wesnoth[59685] <Error>: CGContextShowGlyphsAtPoint: invalid context 0x0. If you want to see the backtrace, please set CG_CONTEXT_SHOW_BACKTRACE environmental variable.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]
I'll see if I can figure something out with the userdate directory.
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

Alright, I tried moving all the saves (14000+!) elsewhere, and while then if I pressed load, it (correctly) told me I had no saved files, when I tried to open a new campaign, it crashed as before when I got to the point where it would have had the first save. I then deleted the save_index file, and now it works, so thank you!