Game paths

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Jorma

Game paths

Post by Jorma »

As you can see from the picture I don't have game paths set. The paths to configurations and user data don't work, probably because there is no "userdata" folder in my game files? I can't use add-on's since the game doesn't find them. Saving games doesn't help since the game doesn't find them.

Also I have 2x mainline campaigns in my list of campaigns.

windows 10 pro
wesnoth 1.12.6
how to reproduce: download the game.

Send help, military life is boring.
gnombat

Re: Game paths

Post by gnombat »

When you installed the game, did you select "Store userdata in the install location"? Try uninstalling, then reinstalling without that option.
Jorma

Post by Jorma »

I tried with both options. Same result.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

How are you running the program? Are you running it using its entry in the Windows Start menu? Or are you running it directly (for example, by opening C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.6 in File Explorer and double-clicking the "wesnoth" or "wesnoth.exe" file)?
Jorma

Post by Jorma »

Option number 2.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Cannot reproduce using fresh Windows 10 Enterprise and fresh download of the Wesnoth 1.12.6 Windows installer.

I happened to have a fresh Windows 10 Enterprise, almost a virgin with only Microsoft updates run. So, I fired it up and downloaded Wesnoth using the Download button on the project home page. I took all defaults.

I tried starting from the Start Menu.

I tried navigating to and running the executable using File Explorer.

And I tried using the Command Shell (cmd.exe) and cd'ing to the executable's directory and running it.

In all cases, I checked the Preferences Paths dialog, and it shows all entries properly filled in.
Also, in all cases, I am able to play a campaign.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Jorma

Post by Jorma »

I can play campaigns. I just cant play add-on campaigns and saving games does no good for me.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Tad_Carlucci wrote:I tried starting from the Start Menu.

I tried navigating to and running the executable using File Explorer.
But don't you need to run it using the entry in the Start Menu for it to set the user data directory properly? (The Start Menu shortcut includes a command-line option for this.)

When I run it directly from File Explorer, it tries to use the userdata folder in the game installation folder (which may not always work, because it might not have permission to write to that folder).

If I run it using the Start Menu entry, it stores user data in Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12 as expected.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

*shrug*

I dunno. I was more concerned about firing up and checking the Paths dialog than wondering what was happening to the saved games or if I could load them. The game fire up. The dialog looked filled-in. HttT played a few turns. And a re-check of the dialog, now that you mention it, does name a lot of places which don't exist and (if I click the button) cause File Manager to complain about that.

This is 1.12.6, after all. I was checking that I was correct and a clean install on a clean machine does not produce the Paths dialog the OP posted. It's been a long time since I was on 1.12.6.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Tad_Carlucci wrote:*shrug*

I dunno. I was more concerned about firing up and checking the Paths dialog than wondering what was happening to the saved games or if I could load them. The game fire up. The dialog looked filled-in. HttT played a few turns. And a re-check of the dialog, now that you mention it, does name a lot of places which don't exist and (if I click the button) cause File Manager to complain about that.

This is 1.12.6, after all. I was checking that I was correct and a clean install on a clean machine does not produce the Paths dialog the OP posted. It's been a long time since I was on 1.12.6.
Yes, the behavior has changed (for the better) in 1.13 - it automatically defaults to using the Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.13 folder. But in 1.12 (and earlier versions), you need to
  1. Install the game using the option "Store userdata (preferences, saved games..) in My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12"
  2. Run the game using the Start menu entry
Otherwise it will try to store user data in the installation folder (which doesn't always work).
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

After updating to windows 10, my 1.12 install put the userdata in this strange place:

C:/users/<my username>/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.6

But the paths dialogue thinks it's in

C:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.6

Presumably windows 10 has some magic for dealing with naughty programs that try to edit the Program Files directory (which they're not supposed to, and wesnoth 1.13 doesn't). No idea what to do if said magic isn't working, though.

Edit: I didn't see gnombat's last reply before posting mine, so yeah what I said should only apply if you install telling it to use the installation folder.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Did some quick research and the VirtualStore folder has been around for a long time. I see references to Vista and explanations that Window 7 stored stuff there is a misbehaving program attempted to write to protected areas (such as ProgramFiles). I doubt the Windows 10 upgrade did it to you; but it's possible that you pointed your Wesnoth at the install directory at some point and this is where it ended up.

The mismatch is probably because the redirection is handled by Windows.

Uninstall Wesnoth. Hand-check the VirtualStore and hand delete it if it's just there for Wesnoth (otherwise track down the other offending programs and fix them, too).

Then a clean install should fix you up.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0d5a56522d
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Another solution is installing wesnoth to folder where you have full access.
Jorma

Post by Jorma »

Tad_Carlucci wrote:The mismatch is probably because the redirection is handled by Windows.

Uninstall Wesnoth. Hand-check the VirtualStore and hand delete it if it's just there for Wesnoth (otherwise track down the other offending programs and fix them, too).

Then a clean install should fix you up.
This worked for me. Thank you all for replying!