[SOLVED]Recall list problem - Horse Archer

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:

[SOLVED]Recall list problem - Horse Archer

Postby Poison » August 19th, 2017, 11:49 pm

Hello, nice meeting you here. I just recently discovered this amazing game and I'd like to express my gratitude for the hard work you've done. I'd like to report a problem, my Elvish horse archer at the LoW Campaign just disappeared from the recall list. It's just this unit and not anyone else. I'm running BfW 1.12.5 (English) from the repos at Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (Xenial Xerus). The save initially came from 1.12.6 at the Saurian Treasury scenario (I think) if that means anything, it does show some WML errors. I'm not sure how to reproduce the problem. He disappeared at the beginning of the Battle of the Book scenario. I've tried playing the last rounds of Cliffs of Thoria again but nothing changed. The game log shows nothing:


Code: Select all
Battle for Wesnoth v1.12.5
Started on Sun Aug 20 01:57:13 2017


Data directory: /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.12
User configuration directory: /home/myname/.config/wesnoth
User data directory: /home/myname/.local/share/wesnoth/1.12
Cache directory: /home/myname/.cache/wesnoth
20170820 01:57:13 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansJapanese.ttf': No such file or directory
20170820 01:57:13 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf': No such file or directory
Checking video mode: 1364x736x32...
setting mode to 1364x736x32
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/A_Beastly_Tale/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/A_Northern_Village/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Across_the_Ocean/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Affably_Evil/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/COTS/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Era_of_Four_Moons/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Rally_For_Roanic/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/The_Beatiful_Child/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/UMC_Terrain_Pack/translations', skipping textdomain
20170820 01:57:15 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansJapanese.ttf': No such file or directory
20170820 01:57:15 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf': No such file or directory
Invalid WML found: "Leadership" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "Cures" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "Heals +8" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "Magical" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "Slow" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "elates Kalenz" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "heals +4" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
ALSA lib pcm.c:7963:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred


I found this 10 year old thread, I guess this should have been fixed by now. I dont think I've loaded any start scenario anyway, I prefer the turn 1 autosaves

Campaign scenario Starts do not retain information

I'm including the replay of Cliffs of Thoria, the last round autosave and the Battle of the Book 1st turn autosave.

LoW-Cliffs_of_Thoria_replay_Elvish_archer.gz
(81.98 KiB) Downloaded 12 times


LoW-Cliffs_of_Thoria-Auto-Save-last-round.gz
(101.58 KiB) Downloaded 11 times


LoW-Battle_of_the_Book-Elvish-archer-gone.gz
(97.19 KiB) Downloaded 10 times


Edit: I leveled another scout and it happened again. I just can't have horse archers it seems.
Last edited by Poison on August 23rd, 2017, 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Poison
 
Posts: 47
Joined: August 13th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Re: Recall list problem

Postby The_Gnat » August 23rd, 2017, 1:22 am

That is a very odd problem. So if I understand correctly at the end of the previous scenario you had a horse archer but it does not exist any longer?

I have not ever encountered a problem like this before so I suggest first checking to ensure that you don't have any problems on your end that could have caused this.

Problems could include:

-other adding you have installed (what other adding do you have)
-save corruption, do you edit or do anything with your save files?

The only other possibility I can think of is that your unit was killed (but I assume you would have noticed that). Also occasionally campaigns remove units for story reasons. I do not remember anything like that in LoW but I have not played it for a while. Did you notice any dialogue or events that may have removed your horse?
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Re: Recall list problem

Postby zookeeper » August 23rd, 2017, 6:57 am

I was very puzzled at first, but the problem is simple: each player leader character has a list of unit types they may recall (so Olurf recalls dwarves, Cleodil Woses, etc) and those lists simply fail to include Elvish Horse Archers, leading to them not being recallable by anyone.

It can't be fixed for existing saves by simply editing the campaign files, so here's a hotfixed version of your savefile. The effects of the fix will... probably persist through the rest of the campaign.

EDIT: The fix to an existing savefile is simple: just replace every occurrence of the string (without quotes) "Elvish Scout,Elvish Rider,Elvish Outrider" with "Elvish Scout,Elvish Rider,Elvish Outrider,Elvish Horse Archer".
Attachments
LoW-Battle_of_the_Book-Elvish-archer-gone-fixed.gz
(96.4 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
User avatar
zookeeper
WML Wizard
 
Posts: 9603
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 10:40 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Recall list problem

Postby Poison » August 23rd, 2017, 7:42 am

The_Gnat wrote:That is a very odd problem. So if I understand correctly at the end of the previous scenario you had a horse archer but it does not exist any longer?


Yes ,indeed.

The_Gnat wrote:I have not ever encountered a problem like this before so I suggest first checking to ensure that you don't have any problems on your end that could have caused this.

Problems could include:

-other adding you have installed (what other adding do you have)
-save corruption, do you edit or do anything with your save files?


No I did nothing of the sort, it's a problem with the leader recall filters as mentioned to the post below yours.

The_Gnat wrote:The only other possibility I can think of is that your unit was killed (but I assume you would have noticed that). Also occasionally campaigns remove units for story reasons. I do not remember anything like that in LoW but I have not played it for a while. Did you notice any dialogue or events that may have removed your horse?


lol

zookeeper wrote:I was very puzzled at first, but the problem is simple: each player leader character has a list of unit types they may recall (so Olurf recalls dwarves, Cleodil Woses, etc) and those lists simply fail to include Elvish Horse Archers, leading to them not being recallable by anyone.

It can't be fixed for existing saves by simply editing the campaign files, so here's a hotfixed version of your savefile. The effects of the fix will... probably persist through the rest of the campaign.

EDIT: The fix to an existing savefile is simple: just replace every occurrence of the string (without quotes) "Elvish Scout,Elvish Rider,Elvish Outrider" with "Elvish Scout,Elvish Rider,Elvish Outrider,Elvish Horse Archer".


Thanks, I discovered it also here after I wrote my post. Apparently, fabi only meant to experiment with this unit and it was never meant to be taken seriously. I think it would be better if this was fixed, though.

Thank you both for your answers, I understood the problem now.
User avatar
Poison
 
Posts: 47
Joined: August 13th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Re: Recall list problem

Postby zookeeper » August 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am

The unit has actually already been removed in the development branch, and only exists in 1.12.

Since it's unlikely that there will be another 1.12 release (1.12.7), anyone who wants to locally fix the campaign files (for new playthroughs) can replace the file data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere/utils/low-macros.cfg with this one.
User avatar
zookeeper
WML Wizard
 
Posts: 9603
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 10:40 pm
Location: Finland

Re: [SOLVED]Recall list problem - Horse Archer

Postby Poison » August 23rd, 2017, 8:30 am

Well that's a shame it was a really enjoyable unit. I disagree with some who claim that mounted elvish units are useless, I've found them useful in more than a few occasions, especially with the resilient trait. If you keep them on favourable terrain you can do wonders with them. Thanks for the fix, I've replaced the file.
User avatar
Poison
 
Posts: 47
Joined: August 13th, 2017, 4:54 pm


Return to Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests