Objection to the coloring of "chance of being unscathed"

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
revolting_peasant

Objection to the coloring of "chance of being unscathed"

Post by revolting_peasant »

I'm playing v 1.13.8 and looking at the "Damage Calculations" dialog.

This dialog has been expanded recently (?) and there's a lot more on it, including a "chance of being unscathed" line, with a percentage.

Regardless of whether or not it's useful to have this line, I find the use of coloring for the percentage to be confusing.
The reason is that in this dialog, I associate Green with safety, well-being, and Red with danger. Now, if the chance of being unscathed is small, but the value is colored Red, I might interpret whatever is colored in Red as the chance of "becoming Red", that is, of being critically hit. It's true that this is not what the inscription says, but that's what the color tells me.

I therefore suggest that - regardless of how this dialog is laid out eventually - the "chance of being unscathed" value not be colored and just use the default white.
The_Gnat

Re: Objection to the coloring of "chance of being unscathed"

Post by The_Gnat »

I personally like the new menu for the Damage Statistics. :D As for the chance of being unscathed it could be misinterpreted and it probably would be better to have it white, but perhaps we should remove it entirely and replace it with "Chance of being Killed". Chance of being unscathed is already depicted in the "Expected Battle Results" table and giving it an extra line over emphasizes its importance. Death (in my opinion) is slightly more important information than that of unscathedness. Few people go into a battle and hope to be unscathed, however if they go into a battle and are likely to die we should probably devote an extra line to tell them about it. :D

(If this change is made the coloring would still need to be altered. It would then be red for high % of death and green for low % of death.)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

The_Gnat wrote:I personally like the new menu for the Damage Statistics. :D As for the chance of being unscathed it could be misinterpreted and it probably would be better to have it white, but perhaps we should remove it entirely and replace it with "Chance of being Killed". Chance of being unscathed is already depicted in the "Expected Battle Results" table and giving it an extra line over emphasizes its importance. Death (in my opinion) is slightly more important information than that of unscathedness. Few people go into a battle and hope to be unscathed, however if they go into a battle and are likely to die we should probably devote an extra line to tell them about it. :D

(If this change is made the coloring would still need to be altered. It would then be red for high % of death and green for low % of death.)
I agree. Chance of death is definitely more important and besides we can already see the chance of being unscathed from the top bar of the chart, so making an extra line for it is unnecessary. ( Then again, we can also see the chance of death from the bars as well :roll: ) On the other hand i don't give a damn for the coloring since it is the numbers that matter but i can see how it could confuse some people. What percentage of death would count as red - x>50% ? x>75%? x>80%? It may be better to do away with the colors completely and make the numbers white, since as we all know, in most encounters, there is no completely safe margin for an attack and even a 1% kill chance can bite you in the butt when you least expect it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

"Chance of being killd" is probably at least as interesting as "chance of being unscathed", and if that was the line than at least the red color would not be confusing. I still thing it would be better not to color it at all. In fact, I'd remove all colors from the top part of the dialog - like Sudipta suggests - except for "results of bonuses", e.g. the green-colored 13 in my image.

I also share Sudipta's opinion that both "chance to be killed" and "chance to remain unscatched" are pretty redundant with the bar display. Perhaps just remove those two altogether?

Finally I also don't like how the bar display fonts are both small and sort of half-faded into the background, making them difficult to read, but that's a totaly different issue.