Nightstalk-bug in A Small Favour?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Britannicus

Nightstalk-bug in A Small Favour?

Post by Britannicus »

Hey, I've been playing A Small Favour Part 1, and chose the approach of assassinating the guards one by one. I thought I remembered from previous playthroughs that as long as you killed a guard in one turn with only Shadows or Nightgaunts, none of the others would notice or come running. So I killed a guard, everything went smoothly, my units went invisible again. But when I ended my turn, the nearest guard charged right at them and attacked them, triggering the alarm. Did I misremember something about the game or is this a bug?

I've attached a replay, it happens on the last turn, turn 4. The version is 1.12.6.
Attachments
DiD-A_Small_Favour_replay.gz
(39.68 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Last edited by Britannicus on June 29th, 2017, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Nightstalk-bug in A Small Favour?

Post by Ravana »

I consider AI remembering positions of previously visible units as improvement not bug.
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Ravana wrote:I consider AI remembering positions of previously visible units as improvement not bug.
Fair enough, I hadn't considered that! In this specific scenario, it does imo kind of limit the number of ways to approach it. I would have liked being able to play much of the level via assassinations, especially since the dialog suggests the scenario is about being stealthy. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I doubt that's the case, really. More likely the AI simply "sees" the invisible units for some reason.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

zookeeper wrote:I doubt that's the case, really. More likely the AI simply "sees" the invisible units for some reason.
Agreed, nothing has been added to the AI in that respect.

I looked at the replay and this is not a problem with the AI. At the end of Side 1 Turn 4, only the nightgaunt at 26,14 is invisible, the one at 24,13 is not hidden (at least that's what the replay is showing). Thus, the spearman guard goes for that unit, since it can see it. By contrast, the lieutenant guard does not actually go for the nightgaunt, but for Darken Volk right behind it, so it only appears to be going for the hidden unit.

So as I said, the AI is behaving as I would expect. What I do not remember is whether the nightgaunt at 24,13 should be hidden after the attack. I think it should be (in which case this would be an engine bug of some sort), but I forgot if there's something special if a unit attacked on that turn.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

mattsc wrote:So as I said, the AI is behaving as I would expect. What I do not remember is whether the nightgaunt at 24,13 should be hidden after the attack. I think it should be (in which case this would be an engine bug of some sort), but I forgot if there's something special if a unit attacked on that turn.
I don't think it should be. It turned visible, attacked, and cannot move anymore, so it should rather stay visible for at least the remainder of its turn. What's a bit unclear to me, however, is when should it turn invisible again? At the end of the side's turn? At the start of the side's next turn? In a way, the last one would make sense, because every other side would know where the unit is anyway, but it could easily make it seem like the ability is simply not working correctly.

In any case, there's another problem: the nightstalk of the Shadow does instantly activate again after the Spearman is killed. First I thought that was because the Shadow still has movement points left (because of skirmisher) in which case it makes perfect sense, but the same thing occurs even if it does not. So, it seems like the ability re-activates only if the unit has not attacked, regardless of whether it still has movement points left or not.