Eastern Invasion Captured Gweddry location bug

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
DrSmith

Eastern Invasion Captured Gweddry location bug

Post by DrSmith »

Playing Eastern Invasion, on easy, Windows 10, version 1.13.7, Captured scenario. When I free the prisoners Owaec and Dacyn are "enabled" for play and in the area between the castle and the 2 orcs. Gweddry, however is left behind in the castle. When I click on Gweddry he cannot move. His only option is to attack either of the adjacent orcs. He dies every time. I have attached a jpeg of the scene. I can also upload a copy of the saved game, but I don't know where that's located on 1.13.7/Windows 10? My \Users\xyzzy\Saved Games folder is empty.
Attachments
Gweddry is immobile lose lose here
Gweddry is immobile lose lose here
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Eastern Invasion Captured Gweddry location bug

Post by zookeeper »

Oh dear. Gweddry moving into the castle (he should remain between Owaec and Dacyn) looks like an AI-related engine bug that's been there since at least 1.13.7. Thanks for reporting that.

Right now the easiest way to get out of that jam is to just use the debug mode to give Gweddry some movement points so he can get back to where he's supposed to be:

Code: Select all

;debug
(keep the mouse over Gweddry)
;unit moves=8
(move him back to between Dacyn and Owaec)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Actually, while I did immediately manage to reproduce the problem the first time I tried it, I can't do it anymore. No matter what I do no matter on which version, everything works correctly again. So I really have no idea what might be going wrong and whether it can actually happen on latest versions or not.
DrSmith

Post by DrSmith »

Do you want me to upload my saved game? I have noticed the inconsistency as well. I did play EasternInv one other time on 1.13.7 and did not have this problem.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have that. I got my own overwritten when I was trying to reproduce it again. :doh:
DrSmith

Post by DrSmith »

zookeeper wrote:Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have that.
Here it is.
Attachments
EI-Captured_Turn_20.gz
EI Captured Gweddry in a bad place
(44.77 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
DrSmith

Post by DrSmith »

And here is an autosave from turn 19, when my disguised Royal Guard has entered the room, not yet unlocked the prisoners, but Gweddry is clearly present in the wrong spot.
Attachments
EI-Captured-Auto-Save19.gz
EI Captured Gweddry doomed
(44.95 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, Gweddry probably does the move already on the first turn. Side 3 is supposed to be completely idle, but for some reason the leader (Gweddry) still makes a move (but can't attack). Using :inspect indicates, similarly to when I managed to reproduce the problem, that side 3 gets a wrong kind of AI configuration somehow. Maybe it's somehow carried along with Gweddry, I don't know.
DrSmith

Post by DrSmith »

I think I will upgrade to 1.13.8 and see what happens there.
DrSmith

Post by DrSmith »

I have now played Eastern Invasion twice on 1.13.8 and Gweddry was in the correct location both times.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It's probably been fixed in 1.13.8, but it's hard to say for sure when it's so elusive in the first place. I think I'm going to have to just assume it's fixed, unless someone else manages to encounter it again.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

For what it's worth, I'm 99% certain the cause for this is the same as in #1955. In other words, reloading a previous mid-scenario save from the scenario was necessary to trigger the bug, which is why it was so hard to reproduce; as long as you don't load (or only load from the beginning-of-scenario save), everything works correctly.

Now that it's clear what the cause is, we'll hopefully get it fixed before 1.13.9.
Poison

Post by Poison »

zookeeper wrote:For what it's worth, I'm 99% certain the cause for this is the same as in #1955. In other words, reloading a previous mid-scenario save from the scenario was necessary to trigger the bug, which is why it was so hard to reproduce; as long as you don't load (or only load from the beginning-of-scenario save), everything works correctly.

Now that it's clear what the cause is, we'll hopefully get it fixed before 1.13.9.

1. I've had it happen in 1.13.8 too, so it's not fixed there.

2. I've beelined to Gweddry without even fighting the bats (except retaliatation ofc) or save/loading (if that's what you mean) and still had it happen, so that part is not correct either. I hope you'll fix this, the good thing is that it doesn't happen all the time.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Poison wrote:2. I've beelined to Gweddry without even fighting the bats (except retaliatation ofc) or save/loading (if that's what you mean) and still had it happen, so that part is not correct either. I hope you'll fix this, the good thing is that it doesn't happen all the time.
Are you absolutely sure you've seen it happen without any mid-scenario loading? You start the scenario, see the story screen, play until you find Gweddry, and he's moved?
Poison

Post by Poison »

Absolutely positive, and more than once too. Restarting the game, loading the start of scenario save (NOT the turn 1 autosave) and going to Gweddry ASAP - no fighting. Then I found him in the keep. I knew it could be fixed with debug somehow but I didn't know the command so I have just been trying till it was gone.