OOS issues in multiplayer

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Bitron
Developer

OOS issues in multiplayer

Post by Bitron »

I got a bunch of OOS messages and some errors today when playing multiplayer matches with/against both human players and computer (2hv2ai). We played with UMC first, but got those errors so we decided to go with standard. Still the same.

This is one of the errors I got:
(Buttons: abort | retry | ignore)

System Details:
Log:
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: OOS issues in multiplayer

Post by gfgtdf »

hmm i just played a game on the official mp server using 2 clients and didn't get any erros, also unfortuanteley the erromessage is rather generic and doesn't contain much information.

So please
1) I't be nice if you could generate a stacktrace, i don't think the current wesnoth windows releases support that so you'd need to build wesnoth yoursel to do this. I understand if you won't so it but it'd mostlikeley bevery helpful.
2) Are you sure there are no addons involved ? there are afaik some some 'bad' addons that alter the gamestate even if you don't have them activated. please (you and your opponent) rename your wesnoth preferences directory, then restart wesnoth and try again.
3) If (1) is not possibel and you used (2) to ensure that this is not caused by an addon please upload your and your opponents replay savefiles for that match.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I do have a few addons installed, but I had them installed for a while now and the error never occurred before. I'll try to re-create the issue, without any addons installed.
installed addons:
Two things I remember:
- There was a download running in the background (gog galaxy)
- I lowered the game speed mid game
gfgtdf wrote:I't be nice if you could generate a stacktrace
I recently build Wesnoth myself successfully, so I actually could do that. Not sure how to 'generate a stacktrace' though. But there was a "how to" somewhere in the forums if I recall it right, so I will have a look at it right away.
Edit: Had a look at it. Not sure how to do that with Visual Studio. I'm not a real programmer, just curious.

And here is the Replay:
4p__Morituri_Turn_7_(461).bz2
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

thx, unforteuneteley i could not reproduce any crashes with that replay, and some OOS. I did get some other unreelated erro though for which i file d abugreport.
I do have a few addons installed, but I had them installed for a while now and the error never occurred before
you know the same about your opponent/ally ?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

you know the same about your opponent/ally ?
My opponent/ally had just installed Wesnoth 1.13.8 and downloaded one addon, the one we wanted to play in the first place. It was the vilkai era.
I updated that era just today, but it was just balancing, no significant changes.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

hmm ok then it inded sounds like a core bug.

it'd be nice if you coudl eigher give a step-by-step instruction how to reoproduce or a stacktrache. Also it's important to know whethe ryou did one of the folling things that were known to casue OOS in the past:
1) Reload an mp game
2) change controllers during the game
3) droid/undroid the sides during the game.

Bitron wrote:but it was just balancing, no significant changes.
generally balanching changes can cause OOS, in case that you and your friend had missmatching versions of the addons but since the the oos also happened in mainline i assume that this is not the cause.
Bitron wrote:A_New_Home
A_Vilkish_Tale
Archaic_Resources
Intriques
Vilkai_Era
those sounds quite harmless i was thinking more about addons like some alterntive random mode things.
Bitron wrote:
- There was a download running in the background (gog galaxy)
- I lowered the game speed mid game
Sounds harmess aswell.

Bitron wrote: Edit: Had a look at it. Not sure how to do that with Visual Studio. I'm not a real programmer, just curious.
To generate a stacktrace you usually have to
1) build wesnoth with debug symbols, it'S quite possibel that our default wesnoth msvc releade build (which i recocmend to use) doesnt create dbug symbold in that case you have to change it in the porjectsettings.
2) Now that you have wesnoth.exe with debug symbols start wesnoth in debug mode, usually pessing F5 from visual studio should do that.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

1) Reload an mp game
2) change controllers during the game
3) droid/undroid the sides during the game.
Nopes to all three of them.
build wesnoth with debug symbols
What are debug symbols and where do I find them?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Since my local copy of viaul studio won't start anymore i cannot tell for sure, but i think its something like project explorer-> rightlick wesnoth -> project settings -> Debug -> Denerate debug info -> yes