Evish Druid Magical slow ?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Yuzir

Evish Druid Magical slow ?

Post by Yuzir »

I don't know if this is the correct place where to report this, anyway here is my question, can there be a bug in the RNG ?
I noticed that the Lv.1 Shaman hits enemy units very often even on vills, so I tried sometghing, and recruited only druid, and tried to use the slow attack on 70% defense units, like fencers, thieves and footpads, and the result is that they get slowed very often, like 60 or 70% of the times.
Is that normal ?
Is itat attack magical ? Cause It don't says it in the description.
If needed I can submit some replays, but maybe some other player can try to test it out, I'm not a numer geek, but it looks suspicius that a 4 hits unit hits one time or even zero, and a 2 hit one, and I refering to the shaman 4 of them manage to slow 3 70% units out of 4 in one turn and all of them the next one.
Maybe somene should check that out.
Last edited by Yuzir on January 15th, 2017, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Evish Druid Magical slow ?

Post by beetlenaut »

Yuzir wrote:and I refering to the druid 4 of them manage to slow 3 70% units out of 4 in one turn and all of them the next one.
And what happened on all the other turns? Had the probability evened out after a few dozen attacks? In random numbers, there should be some suspicious coincidences, but if you only notice those, you are getting an incorrect picture of what's happening.

The druid's slow attack is not magical, and after so many years, we are absolutely sure that there is no bug in the RNG.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes, as beetlenaut says: the Random Number Generator (RNG) is not broken, and the elvish druid has no magical attack. It is likely that the high hitting occurrence was merely a random incident.

Despite this it is good if you report things, like this, that you notice! :D
Yuzir

Post by Yuzir »

Oh, but maybe others should test it again, if it help i tested it in this way, I recruited only Elvish Shamans and units with 70% defense, then i moved every time the shamans to attack them every time from a different position, and I hit more often than not.
Cause whwn they stay still things look more normal.
And I chiose always leader andò pur Rebels ad player 2.

Any suggestion of what is the right way to test this out?
Can it be that obly my copy of the game has some problems ?
Last edited by Yuzir on January 16th, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

To quote iceiceice:
iceiceice wrote:Here's a way that you could attempt to give evidence that the RNG is biased.

1. Think of a random variable that shows the supposed bias. Like, consecutive runs of large numbers.
2. Calculate what the expected value is. I.e. how many runs of a certain length there would be, for sequences of a certain length, if the dice were totally fair.
3. Calculate what the chance of a "large deviation" is. I.e. "I calculate that the chance to get twice as many bad runs as expected is less than .01%"
4. Make a hypothesis, the "null hypothesis", that the large deviation won't occur.
5. Then, take actual data, and see if the event actually happened or not. If it did happen, despite low probability, then it's considered "statistically significant", and suggests the fair dice assumption isn't correct.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Druid and shaman have two strikes with the slow attack. Slow works with a single hit, i.e. vs. 70% defence you will slow the opponent 51% (1-0.7^2) of the time, vs. 60% defence you will slow 64% (1-0.6^2) of the time. If it were a magical attack with two strikes, it would slow 91% of the time (1-0.3^2). This is working as intended and you witness the power of having multiple attempts in action.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.