Unterminated quoted string at <unknown>:5 error

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Aerukai

Unterminated quoted string at <unknown>:5 error

Post by Aerukai »

Whenever I click to create a new game (whether local or through the official server) I get this problem: "Unterminated quoted string at <unknown>:5"
http://i.gyazo.com/980ef84441f128646bbd5533697c5c9a.png <<< As shown here
I've tried deleting my stderr.txt to no avail (following what I presume to be outdated directions in a forum post here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=9706)
My stderr shows the following:
Spoiler:
I have no idea what those names are beside Invalid UTF-8 string, and of the 7 or 8 addons I have, none of them are what appear in this log.
I'm on Windows 8.1, etc. but as far as I know that wouldn't matter a whole lot. My friend started having the exact same problem as me shortly after leaving the map editor.
Currently on 1.12.2
EDIT: Fixed. Apparently the game doesn't like it when you save a scenario as a map/a map as a scenario. I had to remove the files for a scenario I was creating, then it fixed itself.
kurt751

Re: Unterminated quoted string at <unknown>:5 error

Post by kurt751 »

Only ever save scenarios in "/scenarios" and maps in "/maps"... Since using "save as..." in the editor will save anything anywhere, you can very easily trigger this quite explicit error message if you don't know about that limitation.
I've been wondering since yesterday why I was getting this error, till I did a search here.

Which makes me say that replacing this cryptic error message by something more human-friendly would help a lot: Something along the lines of "Detected scenario/Map in wrong folder" or some such. (Being new here (hi guys!) I don't know how/where to submit this, it's not a bug, it's a feature request.)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

In the future, please don't revive a thread that was posted over a year ago. Make your own thread.

For feature requests, you can either post them in the Ideas forum for feedback, or file a feature request on GNA
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Nirusu

Post by Nirusu »

As this thread has already been revived, can anyone help me how to resolve this error?
My situation is exactly identical to Aerukai's.
The easiest possibility would be to delete all Wesnoth folders and redownload it with all the extensions, but I don't really want to lose my progress, especially with unfinished campaigns.

Is there an easy way of debugging?

Thanks for the help.

@Pentarctagon: I really like your signature ("99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs // take one down, patch it around // -2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code")...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Nirusu wrote:As this thread has already been revived, can anyone help me how to resolve this error?
My situation is exactly identical to Aerukai's.
The easiest possibility would be to delete all Wesnoth folders and redownload it with all the extensions, but I don't really want to lose my progress, especially with unfinished campaigns.

Is there an easy way of debugging?

Thanks for the help.

@Pentarctagon: I really like your signature ("99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs // take one down, patch it around // -2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code")...
Did their solution fix your problem? If not, then it's being caused by a missing quote somewhere in your code, in which case you should open a new thread in the WML Workshop.

And thanks :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Nirusu

Post by Nirusu »

Yes, it kind of worked.
Because I couldn't be bothered to check through all the content package, I just set my priorities that playing is more important than saving progress, so I ended up to erase all data and redownload the package contents.

For any other newcomer on Mac that has troubles with this, just a quick guide (you can probably read different comments like "How to access package content on Mac", but since I already spammed this thread, I will try to make best use of it ;)

- Control-Click on Wesnoth.app in the Application Folders
-> Show Package Contents
-> It is enough to check through the data folders (inside "content") and usually it is somewhere under "campaigns", or you can also just delete the whole folder and redownload it.

In my case, I saved a campaign outside the campaign folders... Stupid.
Thanks @everyone for your help!