Editor Won't Start

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Woodruff

Editor Won't Start

Post by Woodruff »

I recently downloaded 1.12 and tried to bring up the game editor in-game (at the main menu).

The screen went black, and so eventually I clicked my mouse, and it went white and then dropped straight to the desktop, closing out Wesnoth. It happens every time, but I don't get any kind of an error message.

Since I'm sure this would have been noticed during development, I thought I should post it here instead of as an official bug so perhaps someone could tell me what may have caused this and whether it has already been submitted as a bug or not. I'm also not sure how to look at any logs to find out what errors may be occurring, and I wanted to figure that out before posting it as a bug too.

My operating system is Windows 7 Professional w/ Service Pack 1
I have 4.0 GB of RAM with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

Any help?
iceiceice

Re: Editor Won't Start

Post by iceiceice »

There is a banner at the top of the page in red:
Forum rules wrote: Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
It explains how to find the logs. Please write back if you still can't find them.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

It explains how to find the logs. Please write back if you still can't find them.
I'm currently having the same problem but I'm on Windows 8.1. However, I didn't see this issue reported on Gna? Unless I missed it...
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I tried to reproduce it but i couldn't. But i got quite some lag of ~4 seconds when i started the editor and the lag got longer with more addons installed.
You should try to run the editor without addons installed and then wait ~1minute whether the editor comes and tell us whether the editor came. Since it might be that for some reason you just got much more lag than me.

Also i noticed that the lag got longer everytime i clicked on the "Editor" button, one second each click, so when i clicked on the button the fifth time it took 8 seconds to open the editor.

I believe this bug is related to our boost locale based gettext implementation.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

I did some experiments. After clicking on Map Editor the "loading bar" works as expected- after about a second or two the "loading bar" is completed and disappears as if the Map Editor is opening, but instead the screen is blank. This lag lasted for ~60 seconds. Then the Map Editor opens and seems to work fine.

Next I quit the editor to go back to Wesnoth main screen. After clicking Map Editor again, there was no loading bar or blank screen, instead it stayed on the Wesnoth main screen, but the Map Editor button was "indented" if it was clicked. You could tell it was loading. After ~90 seconds, the Map Editor opened and seemed to work fine. There was no loading bar or blank screen- it went straight from main screen to the map editor.

Then I repeated the process- the same thing happened as mentioned above, but the lag lasted for over 2 minutes.

Long story short- every time you click the Map Editor button the lag is longer, just as you said gfgtdf. All that being said, I only have one add-on installed.

Finally, I removed the add-on and tested, but still there was ~90 second lag for Map Editor. At the end of the day, I suppose it's no big deal.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Thanks gfgtdf. Am I correct in assuming that in order for me to include these fixes I would have to build Wesnoth from source?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

i backported to 1.12 in
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... 91dc5e582e
Yes compiling from source would be the normnal thing to do in this case.

I actually don't know if it is for example currently possible to download a newer 1.12 .exe from our jenking build and just copy it into the wesnoth folder.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

you can try to download the .exe form the jenkins build here: http://baldras.wesnoth.org:8080/job/Wes ... an7-32/ws/ and copy it to where your wesnoth exe is and start it. No guareantee that it wirks though.