The game crashes as soon as the gameplay startss

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Asterix815

The game crashes as soon as the gameplay startss

Post by Asterix815 »

So in the tutorial I select my character,a message that says to click him appears and the game crashes.Same in the first mission of the campaign the `cutscene`plays until the end after which the game crashes.I`m using windows xp.Sorry if its obvious I`m not to good with computers.
dorf

Re: The game crashes as soon as the gameplay startss

Post by dorf »

More info about your PC would probably be appreciated.
Including the game's version, hardware configuration and whether you have the 64bit OS version and any service packs installed.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

PC info is good, but the important thing is to get some kind of error message, like from the stderr.txt file (described here). A backtrace is even better, but that's harder to get on windows.
dwarvish_sylph

Post by dwarvish_sylph »

This is my problem too. I've rediscovered Wesnoth recently (I still have the version 1.8.6, lol), and after playing for a week, I decided to update. However, both the newest and the previous (1.11.19) version crash when I start a game. I'm running Windows XP.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

This looks like a rerun of this.

You guys have to provide some kind of error message or something or there's probably nothing we can do.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

I have the same problem. I have Windows XP, Wesnoth version 1.12.0 and the language is Finnish.

stderr.txt:

20150102 12:06:02 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Trader/translations', skipping textdomain
20150102 12:06:19 error display: could not open image 'terrain/.png'
20150102 12:06:58 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'no_recruit' discarded.
20150102 12:06:58 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'no_recruit' discarded.

The first is when I tried to play an add-on. The second is when I was reading a description of another add-on. The third and fourth were when I tried to play a mainline local multiplayer game with a computer opponent. There is no fifth although I tried to play two different campaigns and got the same message.

I got same message every time. Here it is, translated to English: "wesnoth.exe has detected an error, and the product has to be closed. We are sorry about the disturbance". Then it asks if I want to send an error report to Microsoft.

Edit:
beetlenaut wrote:Try running with "wesnoth --nosound".
That is from the link iceiceice provided. I disabled all music and sounds manually and was therefore able to play. By the way, when I checked stderr.txt, there was a lot of (almost 20 kilobytes) new text in it.
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

shadowm wrote:Wesnoth may occasionally crash to desktop when/while music is enabled. Thus far, this has been observed on Windows XP SP3 (bugs #23203 [Gna.org] and #23026 [Gna.org]) and Debian GNU/Linux 8 “jessie” (report pending).
More information is needed to help us determine the cause of this issue — in particular, your Wesnoth build configuration (if compiling from source), and OS and library versions, as well as any customizations you may have made to your install. Backtraces and semi-reliable steps to reproduce are highly desirable due to the nature of this bug.
shadowm wrote:More information is needed to help us determine the cause of this issue
That is from topic "Wesnoth 1.12.1". I think I could give useful information if someone gave me detailed instructions about how to obtain that information (I don't know computers enough well). I necromanced because I now consider musicless Wesnoth worse than before.
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.