[Wesnoth 1.10.7] Square instead of letters

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Kente

[Wesnoth 1.10.7] Square instead of letters

Post by Kente »

Hi, today i stared Wesnoth and instead of letters and words i had only square. I tried to restart my computer and to delete and reinstall Wesnoth. This has partially solved my problem, because now i have square only on the loading screen, in the preference screen, in the multiplayer lobby (for the other name player, for the game's name and even if i try to write something the squares appears in the chat box) and in some more buttons.
I'm using Wenoth 1.10.7 and my OS is Ubuntu 14.04.
Any help is appreciated
Last edited by Kente on June 9th, 2014, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Re: [Wesnoth 1.10.7] Square instead of lettes

Post by Dugi »

I have Ubuntu 14.04 and wesnoth 1.10.7 works without such issues. I had some font-related issues with self-compiled 1.13.0- version of wesnoth, but I doubt that it's related.

I assume that it might be relevant to some developers if you told what were you doing after you last started it before today and before you started it today. Also, try to launch it in terminal, Ctrl+Alt+T, type wesnoth-1.10 and see if it reports something related to fonts (like could not initialize fonts).
Kente

Post by Kente »

i tried to launch wesnoth from terminal, but nothing change.
Anyway, the last time i used wesnoth it was thursday and i played a World Conquest map 6 with a player in my friend list, after some turns we ended the game because i should go out. Today i just turn on my computer and run firefox, steam and wesnoth, nothing more. When i saw the squares, i checked the forum for some other people with my same issue, then i deleted and reinstallated wesnoth (the change that i mention in my first post it happens there) and i restarted my computer. I checked again Wesnoth and then the forum.
So, nothing inusual, but i just noticed that if i start a map it appears the sentence
<Invalid WML found> '/home/kente/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10/data/add-ons/DotGCC.cfg' is deprecated, use '/home/kente/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10/data/add-ons/DotGCC/_main.cfg' instead. (2)
i don't know if it's related.

edit: i forgot to add the terminal log, it seems there is some issue with the fonts
20140609 13:09:15 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DejaVuSans.ttf': No such file or directory
20140609 13:09:15 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansJapanese.ttf': No such file or directory
20140609 13:09:15 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf': No such file or directory
20140609 13:09:15 error filesystem: Could not open '/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/data/languages/vi_VI.cfg' for reading.
20140609 13:09:15 error config: Could not open file /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/data/languages/vi_VI.cfg
Checking video mode: 1366x744x32...
setting mode to 1366x744x32
20140609 13:09:17 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DejaVuSans.ttf': No such file or directory
20140609 13:09:17 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansJapanese.ttf': No such file or directory
20140609 13:09:17 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf': No such file or directory
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Kente wrote:So, nothing inusual, but i just noticed that if i start a map it appears the sentence [...]
This is just a problem with an add-on, unlikely to be related. It's harmless, but better report it to its author.

Regarding the terminal output, it seems that it can't open a file containing information about Vietnamese translation. I don't know if it is related to the problem, but I don't have the file neither (but it didn't report its absence). Try using English language or some other translation and see if it helps.

You seem to be missing some font files, they should be in /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/fonts/, but you seem not to have them. Try to copy these three files into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/ (you may need to open terminal, use the command sudo nautilus and type your password to get them there) and see if it helps (try to copy them also into /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/fonts/):
droid.zip
(2.93 MiB) Downloaded 265 times
Kente

Post by Kente »

i put the 3 fonts in the folders, the squares remain, by the way in the wesnoth folder the file were broken, this is what i get by the terminal now

edit: i always use english language
kente@kente-Aspire-5742G:~$ wesnoth-1.10
Battle for Wesnoth v1.10.7
Started on Mon Jun 9 16:20:10 2014

Data directory: /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10
User configuration directory: /home/kente/.config/wesnoth
User data directory: /home/kente/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10
Cache directory: /home/kente/.cache/wesnoth
20140609 16:20:10 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DejaVuSans.ttf': No such file or directory
20140609 16:20:10 error filesystem: Could not open '/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/data/languages/vi_VI.cfg' for reading.
20140609 16:20:10 error config: Could not open file /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/data/languages/vi_VI.cfg
Checking video mode: 1366x744x32...
setting mode to 1366x744x32
20140609 16:20:10 warning font: Failed opening font file 'DejaVuSans.ttf': No such file or directory
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Kente wrote:by the way in the wesnoth folder the file were broken
What does this mean? Those files should never change, if they are wrong it indicates a failed download I would guess.
Kente

Re: [Wesnoth 1.10.7] Square instead of letters

Post by Kente »

iceiceice wrote:
Kente wrote:by the way in the wesnoth folder the file were broken
What does this mean? Those files should never change, if they are wrong it indicates a failed download I would guess.
it means the files showed the "missing link" broken advice: the icon show the lock sign (on ubuntu) and when i try to replace the file with those who gives me Dugi, an error message popped up.
I'm not sure if i explain myself good enough (sorry it's a bit late here and i'm tired), anyway tomorrow i will try to delete and install again wesnoth, maybe i just select an old repo
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The missing link problem sounds like if you didn't copy it into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/ first. If you can't copy them, write sudo nautilus into Terminal, and you should be able to do it in the file manager window that opens then (you'll have to do all the operations inside that window, or it might not allow you to do it).
Kente

Post by Kente »

Dugi wrote:The missing link problem sounds like if you didn't copy it into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/ first. If you can't copy them, write sudo nautilus into Terminal, and you should be able to do it in the file manager window that opens then (you'll have to do all the operations inside that window, or it might not allow you to do it).
i meant the missing link problem was before i copied the files, after there weren't problem
Kente

Post by Kente »

i solved the problem (apparently). I have to install the DejaVuSans.ttf font too and now everything seems too work fine and square are disappeared.
Anyway i'm not sure how this problem was created, but i'm pretty sure it's an ubuntu problem related
Thanks to Dugi for the help.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Kente wrote:20140609 13:09:15 error filesystem: Could not open '/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10/data/languages/vi_VI.cfg' for reading.
Dugi wrote:Regarding the terminal output, it seems that it can't open a file containing information about Vietnamese translation. I don't know if it is related to the problem, but I don't have the file neither (but it didn't report its absence).
The x_Y notation (a common variant of IETF language tags, using U+005F “_” LOW LINE rather than U+002D “-” HYPHEN-MINUS) refers to the language x from the country Y.

vi is indeed the code for the Vietnamese language, but the code for Vietnam is VNVI is the code for the US Virgin Islands.

I believe this error has been fixed, but Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 is a fairly old release, so I would not be surprised if the fix is not present in that version.
joss

Post by joss »

Kente wrote:i solved the problem (apparently). I have to install the DejaVuSans.ttf font too and now everything seems too work fine and square are disappeared.
Anyway i'm not sure how this problem was created, but i'm pretty sure it's an ubuntu problem related
I have the same problem with Windows 8. I tried both versions of Wesnoth (.10 and .11) and the squares remain. Strangely, the bug started for no reason since I could play normaly before and I hadn't changed my OS settings. I tried to copy/paste the fonts given above, but it doesn't change anything.

Any help someone?
joss

Post by joss »

joss wrote:
Kente wrote:i solved the problem (apparently). I have to install the DejaVuSans.ttf font too and now everything seems too work fine and square are disappeared.
I have the same problem with Windows 8. I tried both versions of Wesnoth (.10 and .11) and the squares remain. Strangely, the bug started for no reason since I could play normaly before and I hadn't changed my OS settings. I tried to copy/paste the fonts given above, but it doesn't change anything.

Any help someone?
Ok I fixed it. I pasted the fonts given above in the Windows font directory, then restarted my PC. One of the fonts wasn't recognised by Windows so I had to convert it to ttf (even though it was already a ttf) with an online converter. Works fine now.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

joss wrote:One of the fonts wasn't recognised by Windows so I had to convert it to ttf (even though it was already a ttf) with an online converter. Works fine now.
I can open all the fonts from the fonts/ directory of the game with Windows 8.1’s font viewer application, and even installed them using the Control Panel; so, I’m curious what kind of message you received from the system that suggested the font’s format might be incorrect, and which one of the shipped fonts is affected.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.