Cannot save games

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
tycho0042

Cannot save games

Post by tycho0042 »

Port: Windows
Version: Win 7 Home premium 64 bit, SP1

All I did was follow the default installation process in english.
for some reason, the game tells me that I cannot auto-save and must save manually. When I save manually, it tells me that the path is read-only.
I went to the file's properties, unchecked the box that makes it read-only, apply it to all the files in the folder, then click apply. it goes through the process and claims it has done it. When I check the folder's properties again, it's still read only.
I also tried uninstalling it, reinstalling it as admin, to no avail.
Max

Re: Cannot save games

Post by Max »

tycho0042 wrote:When I save manually, it tells me that the path is read-only.
what is the exact error message?

do you have any non-ascii characters in your os-username? that might be an issue...
tycho0042 wrote:I went to the file's properties, unchecked the box that makes it read-only, apply it to all the files in the folder, then click apply. it goes through the process and claims it has done it. When I check the folder's properties again, it's still read only.
you can ignore that. it's a stupid and confusing microsoft thing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549
tycho0042

Post by tycho0042 »

The first part of the error is this:

Could not auto-save game. Please save the game manually. save_game_failed:could not write to file

When manually saving:

The game could not be saved: Save_game_failed: could not write to file

My computer username is the same as here. Tycho0042
Max

Post by Max »

i've got no clue what might be causing this.

can you check your user data directory and tell me what (if any) files/folders are there?
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Editingwesnoth#Windows_2

how do you launch wesnoth? using the start-menu?

you could try to get wesnoth to put the user data directory in the executable folder. either reinstall the game and choose "Store userdata in the install location" or simply launch wesnoth.exe directly. to avoid having the virtual store mess things up you should change the permissions for the install folder first, see:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 70290efeed
tycho0042

Post by tycho0042 »

I don't know what causes it either.

The save path is:

Tycho0042/mydocuments/mygames/wesnoth 1.10

The install path is:

computer/local disc C:/program files(x86)/battle for wesnoth 1.10.7

I hope this is what you were looking for.
Sandman25

Post by Sandman25 »

Do you use English language in the game? If not, switch to English, it solved the issue for me.
Max

Post by Max »

tycho0042 wrote:I hope this is what you were looking for.
i was rather suggesting that you try the approach i've described in the last paragraph (so that the game places the user data directory in the executable folder).
Sandman25 wrote:Do you use English language in the game? If not, switch to English, it solved the issue for me.
that could indeed be an explanation if the selected language has a translation for "Auto-Save" that contains non-ansi characters. i haven't thought of that before...
tycho0042

Post by tycho0042 »

I had already enabled permissions before hitting the forums. Earlier today, I even changed ownership of the files.
I installed it in english
Max

Post by Max »

have you tried to launch wesnoth.exe directly and see what happens?
tycho0042

Post by tycho0042 »

I have, to no avail. I even moved the folder to the desktop one time and ran it from there
CyndNinja

Post by CyndNinja »

Huh, haven't played BfW for like 3 years and now it welcomed me with the same bug as above.

Tried English, Polish, German and Japanese versions. Wesnoth has absolutely no problem with saving any kind of characters, even non-ansi no matter the version, but is unable to save the '—' from map names i.e. "2p — Silverhead Crossing Turn 1" ... oh well, I cannot even copy it, lol.

Quite annoying thing, cause you're welcomed with error message every turn and unable to keep autosaves, when playing on most of maps available. Changing name of every single map is (not?) a solution.

Also, yup, Windows 7 SP1.

Moreover it seems that this problem occured earlier already:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36033 - still unsolved