Only round 1 of berserk applies first strike: intentional?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
RaustBD

Only round 1 of berserk applies first strike: intentional?

Post by RaustBD »

This is something I just noticed, and it may be intentional, but since it was a rare occurrence and could be an oversight, I figured I might as well point it out:

First strike seems to only apply to round 1 of a berserk assault. When a unit with berserk engages a unit with first strike, the unit with berserk makes the first attack in round 2 and beyond. I can tell because of the pause between the two hits my ulfserker made.
iceiceice

Re: Only round 1 of berserk applies first strike: intentiona

Post by iceiceice »

Good eye, I never noticed this, nor did I ever think about it :)

I would guess that it has been the way it is pretty much since the beginning? Who knows who it was that first coded those weapon specials.

I agree that it would make more sense if first strike applied during every round of the berzerk.
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

I think it makes more sense to apply firststrike only once.

Literally, first-strike means that you strike first, and then the enemy strikes. It doesn't say that the enemy can't strike first on successive rounds.

Let's say you have a Spearman. They strike first because they have a long spear and can reach the enemy first. So they hit the enemy with the spear, but then the enemy closes in on them. The enemy would, for the duration of the fight, stay close so he could keep striking until one of them died. It doesn't make sense to leave the area for a moment between rounds. :eng:

Just my two cents' worth. :wink:
A paintbrush is worth a thousand swords.
The average pen is equal to a sword, but a picture paints a thousand words.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Rbuck wrote:I think it makes more sense to apply firststrike only once.

Literally, first-strike means that you strike first, and then the enemy strikes. It doesn't say that the enemy can't strike first on successive rounds.

Let's say you have a Spearman. They strike first because they have a long spear and can reach the enemy first. So they hit the enemy with the spear, but then the enemy closes in on them. The enemy would, for the duration of the fight, stay close so he could keep striking until one of them died. It doesn't make sense to leave the area for a moment between rounds. :eng:

Just my two cents' worth. :wink:
Ah, but following that same logic, does it therefore make sense for the berserker, against an enemy with an equal number of attacks and first strike, to suddenly attack twice out of nowhere between the end of the first and the beginning of the second round?
Max

Post by Max »

has anyone else actually tried it?

in a fight between Ulfserker (U) and Spearman (S) i would expect the sequence to look like this: SUSUSUU|USUSUSU. so at one point three attacks in a row for the ulfserker. but: i could only see two sequential attacks by the ulfserker...
Last edited by Max on November 12th, 2013, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Max wrote:has anyone else actually tried it?

in a fight between Ulfserker (U) and Spearman (S) i would expect the sequence to look like this: SUSUSUU|USUSUSU. so at one point three attacks in a row for the ulfserker. but: all i could see where two sequential attacks by the ulfserker...
...That is the weirdest thing. I KNOW it happened when I was fighting the goblin spearman, there was this huge pause between two attacks...
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

A quick look at the code shows that first strike is supposed to apply to each round of combat.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

JaMiT wrote:A quick look at the code shows that first strike is supposed to apply to each round of combat.
Well then I feel incredibly embarassed. I just tried it myself and it's confirmed, I was completely wrong. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.