Dark Forecast bosses missing

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
masuat

Dark Forecast bosses missing

Post by masuat »

Greetings.

Last night I was playing Dark Forecast (survival) with another player on the multiplayer server. In this scenario there are 45 turns of minion waves, then bosses begin to spawn. However with this player I reached turn 45, and upon completing the turn, the game declared us victorious.

I have played this scenario before with a few other players and have never got to turn 45. I have also played this by myself and got to turn 45, whereupon bosses started spawning and cleaned me up.

Is it possible that the player playing with me has an older version of the map that doesn't include bosses? My version of Wesnoth is 1.10.6, English on windows xp.

I have attached the replay.
Attachments
2p_—_Dark_Forecast_(Surviv..._replay.gz
(64.29 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Re: Dark Forecast bosses missing

Post by JaMiT »

I haven't looked at your replay (which was a good thing to include nonetheless), but I can tell you that Dark Forecast is the same in all versions of 1.10. So you probably ran into one of the bugs in the 1.10 version of the scenario (probably fixed in 1.11).

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know how that scenario is supposed to unfold? Working off the WML code leads to guesswork.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

masuat wrote:Is it possible that the player playing with me has an older version of the map that doesn't include bosses
If you created the game, you are host and the other player gets sent and takes your version of the scenario. His doesn't matter.

EDIT
JaMiT wrote:While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know how that scenario is supposed to unfold? Working off the WML code leads to guesswork.
There is some code to extend the turn limit beyond turn 45, and there is a message which should obviously have shown up when I played it last. ("The last and most powerful of these creatures are almost upon us. I feel that if we can finish them off in time, we shall be victorious.")
So, there is a bug.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I recall seeing this bug myself some time ago (with version 1.10.6), although I don't think I ever reported it. I was playing both allies as a local player.
2p_—_Dark_Forecast_(Surviv..._replay.gz
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

A savegame from shortly before turn 45 is probably more helpful for fixing the bug than a replay.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
masuat

Post by masuat »

I just played another round with someone else and got the "The last and most powerful of these creatures are almost upon us." dialogue on turn 45. The lich, yeti, elvish champion etc started spawning as per normal.

Here is a save from the bugged game on turn 44.
Attachments
2p_—_Dark_Forecast_(Survival)-Auto-Save44.gz
(96.3 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I think this was fixed in 1.11 here:

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth-old/ ... 69af7819e4
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

I checked masuat's replay. It is the bug I fixed in 1.11. I had described the bug as "failing to end" because in my case I had run out of opponents before the random end time. The posted replay ran out of opponents after, so in that case the game ended without bosses. Same bug, different symptoms.
masuat

Post by masuat »

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Can I download and install 1.11 on top of my 1.10 and keep my data intact? In fact, is the correct method to back up the 'userdata' folder, uninstall 1.10, install 1.11 then replace the userdata folder?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

masuat wrote:Can I download and install 1.11 on top of my 1.10 and keep my data intact? In fact, is the correct method to back up the 'userdata' folder, uninstall 1.10, install 1.11 then replace the userdata folder?
For weirdish *nixes, installing with the package manager, probably. In goold old windows you can have several independent installations, when installing the userdata into the program directory (there's an option during the installation).
Do note that development server MP people tend to be inexperienced and fewer though.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

For weirdish *nixes, installing with the package manager, probably.
I find that Wesnoth, on Ubuntu, creates a new data folder per main version, so I have a 1.9,1.10, and 1.11 folder in the Wesnoth data directory. If I have 1.10.5 and 1.10.6 built they will both use the 1.10 data, and 1.11 versions will use the 1.11 data.

Always a good idea to back up user data before upgrading though :geek:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That’s the user data directory, though. By default, the scons and cmake recipes will always install to a fixed directory without a version suffix. It’s trivial to change this configuration before compiling, though, and it’s not even really necessary to install Wesnoth to the system directories in order to run it.

Anyway, the OP clearly said Windows XP in the first post.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.