Game loading/saving is really slow here

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, thanks for sending the game. I can see where it's slow now. I'll look into fixing it.

Cheers,

David
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have the same problems saving a game on Windows XP. P4-2.4GHz, savegame is about 850K, takes about 15 secs until the load dialog appeares. Meanwhile I could not even switch to the task manager, I think I had 100% CPU load.
Under Windows the game becomes less playable adding savegames...

However, now I have copied the savegame to Linux, deleted the '\r' characters and voila, it is opend in less than a second! :-)

This game is GREAT!!!

Tom
methinks

Post by methinks »

PIII 800, 256 MB RAM
saves - 758 kb
WIN XP

It takes long to save, the further I play, the longer I wait. It takes long for a 'load' dialog to open but even loading takes than up to 10-15 secs. I have stopped playing game because of this it is really painful cause teh game is really great. I will provide translation (in Polish) but only if some problems will be fixed. I simply don't want to invest my time in tanslating game that has such a minor drawback. Fix only this and it will be really OK. Add delete saves future please.

Oh and movement of troops slows down when map is scrolled.
miyo

Post by miyo »

methinks wrote: It takes long to save, the further I play, the longer I wait. It takes long for a 'load' dialog to open but even loading takes than up to 10-15 secs. I have stopped playing game because of this it is really painful cause teh game is really great. I will provide translation (in Polish) but only if some problems will be fixed. I simply don't want to invest my time in tanslating game that has such a minor drawback. Fix only this and it will be really OK. Add delete saves future please.

Oh and movement of troops slows down when map is scrolled.
What is the version you are running?

- Miyo
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Methinks? form Poland? :-) seems that my sig in pixelation forum caught a new victim :-)
Welcome
Load and save issues has been fixed in latest versions
Check Version 0.4.5
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/files/setup.exe
Current source (and hence unix) version is 0.4.7
Maybe somebody could point you to a newer one or compile it for you.
methinks

Post by methinks »

heh right yeah :] pixelation bait worked on me :]

the newest version in download section is 4.0 why is it so? i cannot even see sourcecode there of version higher than 4.0
Anyway it's nice it is fixed I'm downloading it right now but you could've written here on forum that it is already done so I wouldn't have to write my post, heh.

Anyway I will check whether the same error occurs in newest version but my saves from third scenario (merpeople) can't be loaded. I get message that they are either corrupted or from different version. This brings me to another thought - will my save games work on a version that I'm downloading? Hope so...
Anyway I'll try to do Polish translation ASAP. Hope it takes me less than two weeks.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The delopement versions are released very fast, I even had the time to play the last 3 ones. (To Ettin maybe you should post a link to http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... um.php?f=5 in the download page, telling that new versions testing are announced there)

Check the forums before stating the translation, there are a couple (of dozens) of posts about how to do it.
You should download the latest source package and translate from the template file (IIRC the file is named sample_translation.cfg) after that send it to Dave.
Interested in doing some pixels .. there are at least 120 units sprites not done yet ;-)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that we should update the downloads page to list the windows 0.4.5 version, since that's probably just plain better than 0.4.0

If you saved your game mid-level, then it is probably not going to work on a newer version. However games saved between levels should work, although that won't be entirely guaranteed yet, since we are still under heavy development.

If you have a between-scenarios saved game that doesn't work, then you are welcome to send it to me (davidnwhite@optusnet.com.au) and I will try to fix it for you.

I would also like to point out that the version you are using is 0.4.0. There is a long way to go until 1.0, and any serious problems which you now see will likely be fixed by version 1.0. Of course, telling us about them is the best way to see them fixed :)

David