The Text Contains Invalid Markup

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: The Text Contains Invalid Markup

Post by ancestral »

It’s not just the sheer number of add-ons that’s the issue. There can be issues with how poorly-written an add-on may be. Validation isn’t something that add-ons pass through upon submission (although some tools exist, they are optional and they’re not perfect) so a bad add-on can wreck Wesnoth’s playability, just as a bad application can crash your computer. Add-ons are written by people in the community, in their spare time, many of whom are quite young and new to modding, with maybe beginner to intermediate knowledge of Wesnoth Markup Language (WML). One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. (Or likely in this case, several apples when used together.)

It’d be one thing if every add-on was simply a map or a faction, but Wesnoth add-ons can actually alter the entire game environment, and how the game is played.

Edit, @8680: Yes, he does report after 264 it fails. That being said, there have been people who’ve reported problems related to add-on conflicts with far fewer than 264 add-ons before. I’m sure I could find a way to make game conflicts of one nature or another with just two add-ons.
Last edited by ancestral on March 14th, 2013, 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

ancestral wrote:It’s not just the sheer number of add-ons that’s the issue.
I think it may be.
Woodruff wrote:Lo and behold, when I hit the 264th add-on directory, regardless of what that add-on was, it screwed everything up.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

ancestral wrote:It’s not just the sheer number of add-ons that’s the issue. There can be issues with how poorly-written an add-on may be. Validation isn’t something that add-ons pass through upon submission (although some tools exist, they are optional and they’re not perfect) so a bad add-on can wreck Wesnoth’s playability, just as a bad application can crash your computer. Add-ons are written by people in the community, in their spare time, many of whom are quite young and new to modding, with maybe beginner to intermediate knowledge of Wesnoth Markup Language (WML). One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. (Or likely in this case, several apples when used together.)

It’d be one thing if every add-on was simply a map or a faction, but Wesnoth add-ons can actually alter the entire game environment, and how the game is played.

Edit, @8680: Yes, he does report after 264 it fails. That being said, there have been people who’ve reported problems related to add-on conflicts with far fewer than 264 add-ons before. I’m sure I could find a way to make game conflicts of one nature or another with just two add-ons.
I'm completely ignorant on the development side of Wesnoth. However, I do have a computer programming background, so I am somewhat familiar with how conflicts and such can arise.

Which is why I tested the problem in the manner I did. If it were just one, or possibly two, add-ons where the conflict arises at the 264th directory, then I would think it was a conflict between the add-ons. But I tested it with five different directories as the last one I moved over (leaving previous "not working add-on directories" out of it). While it is certainly possible that all five of those directories coincidentally had a conflict, I find it unlikely when I had gotten all the way to the 263rd one without any such problem.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Would it be enough to create 264 empty subdirectories in the add-on directory? (That would be a relatively fast copy-and-paste-and-paste-and-...) It didn't cause a problem for me, but maybe I'm missing something. If that is not good enough, what if there was a short _main.cfg in the directory before you started copying?

I guess my main question is what exactly has to hit the 264 mark to trigger this? And secondarily, is there a way to replicate the problem using copy-and-paste (relying on the OS to generate new directory names), rather than actually finding hundreds of add-ons to download?