RNG is not seeded randomly

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
SlowThinker

RNG is not seeded randomly

Post by SlowThinker »

Summary:
in consequent games, 'random_seed' may be fixed to 1 (it may be fixed to another low number too).

Details:
Several people reported they didn't get random game starts with scenarios that depend on 'random_seed' (Conquest Minus scenarios). I checked their savefiles and found random_seed=1 (or another 1-digit number).

It looks this problem happens with some systems only.
In games hosted on my computer I see that random_seed is always 4-5 digit number (so it looks like a 2-byte value), and so I never get this bug.
Contrariwise, some people complained they never got a random game start in games they hosted (for example this player: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 84#p540784 ).

The mentioned problems happened with Wesnoth 1.10. I remember that once this behaviour has been reported with Wesnoth 1.9 too, but I don't know the value of 'random_seed'.

Two affected savefiles are attached (both for 1.10).

(Hint: Checking values of 'random_seed' of running games on the server and querying hosting players about their systems might help to determine the problem ...)
Attachments
Conquest-_Surdmark_rng_bug.gz
(169.62 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Conquest-_Pasarganta_rng_bug.gz
(170.4 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on November 4th, 2012, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Max

Re: RNG is not seeded randomly

Post by Max »

SlowThinker

Re: RNG is not seeded randomly

Post by SlowThinker »

It is possible the bug was introduced in 1.10.1:
(And I take back my words that the bug happened with 1.9 too, in fact it was next report which I had in my mind)
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 02#p522902