Compiling error gcc-3.4.3

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
KK_r

Compiling error gcc-3.4.3

Post by KK_r »

I'm getting a internal error compiling 0.8.7 with gcc-3.4.3, no useful error messages. Gentoo-sources 2.6.9. If I use portage it shows the error messages (something like internal error I'm not at home right now) but if I go into wesnoth/src and run make, gcc takes all CPU and most RAM and it took several minutes to exit X with ctrl+alt+backspace. I have tried lowering the optimation flags without any difference. It's a brand new ~x86 gentoo system.

Could it be wesnoth, portage, gcc or something else?
silene

Re: Compiling error gcc-3.4.3

Post by silene »

KK_r wrote:internal error [...] Could it be wesnoth, portage, gcc or something else?
If it's an internal compiler error, it's GCC. I don't know how modified Gentoo's GCC is; but if it is not, you should report this bug to the GCC project.
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html
Though, if you have less than 256MB memory and are compiling with optimization, it may be a memory shortage.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

the thing that confused me was that I got a total hangup if I ran make and an error when I ran emerge. Also I have compiled about 300 packages without any gcc related problems. I will try to compile with 3.3.3 as soon as I have time.
ahwayakchih

Post by ahwayakchih »

I compiled 0.8.7 with GCC 3.4.2 and also had some error. I found it was because of -O3 optimization and only with one file (IIRC multiplayer.cpp, but it's easy to find out - just check at which file it errors :)).
Maybe You have similar case?
I compiled just that one file without optimization, and rest of the sources with -O3.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I did try without optimization, didn't work...It compiled with gcc-3.3.4 though strange segfaults appears when I'm chosing faction in fullscreen mode. Got to have my gcc working and see if it's still there then.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

With gcc-3.4.2, I used

Code: Select all

./configure --localstatedir=/var --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-debug --enable-lite --enable-editor --enable-tools
with no ill effects. This does use

Code: Select all

-O0
so optimisation is disabled.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

ahwayakchih wrote:I compiled 0.8.7 with GCC 3.4.2 and also had some error. I found it was because of -O3 optimization and only with one file (IIRC multiplayer.cpp, but it's easy to find out - just check at which file it errors :)).
Maybe You have similar case?
I compiled just that one file without optimization, and rest of the sources with -O3.
was it the same error? gcc stealing all computer power?
ahwayakchih

Post by ahwayakchih »

KK_r wrote:was it the same error? gcc stealing all computer power?
Well.. i'm not 100% sure if it was the same, but yes, it was stealing all RAM (much much more than usual). CPU usage was more or less the same. After hitting RAM max it was just crashing.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

couldn't get it to work with 3.4.2 but with 3.4.3 it works. Without optimzation though...
ahwayakchih

Wesnoth 0.8.8 the same

Post by ahwayakchih »

KK_r wrote:couldn't get it to work with 3.4.2 but with 3.4.3 it works. Without optimzation though...
I compiled Wesnoth 0.8.8 using GCC 3.4.3. It also had problem with multiplayer.cpp and ICEd (internal compiler error). I tried compiling just that one file with different -O levels and it looks like -O1 works, but -O2 and -O3 throw ICE.
So i used -O1 for that one file only, and compiled rest with -O3. All seems to work fine :)
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

same problem with 0.8.9 but it stops at ai.cpp

anyone know why this happens to wesnoth 'cause I havn't got any problems like this with any other app I've compiled. How do you get some useful information out of gcc?
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Last I tried to compile wesnoth with gcc-3.4.2 with -O2, it ran out of memory trying to allocate a 300MB block. It compiles just fine with -O0.
ahwayakchih

Post by ahwayakchih »

KK_r wrote:same problem with 0.8.9 but it stops at ai.cpp

anyone know why this happens to wesnoth 'cause I havn't got any problems like this with any other app I've compiled. How do you get some useful information out of gcc?
Strange, it stopped on multiplayer.cpp here. Ai.cpp was ok IIRC.

As for useful information read GCC's how to report bugs. Though it will not give much information useful to common user/developer :). But maybe if many people send reports they'll fix that (unless it's Wesnoth's code bug, which would be strange since it's only happening when compiling with more optimizations than -01).
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

sorry for awakening this old thread but I can report that 0.8.10 compiles, some files take almost all cpu and mem but it doesn't crash (I have 256 RAM and 256 swap)
ahwayakchih

0.8.11 builds fine on BeOS!

Post by ahwayakchih »

Just wanted to report 0.8.11 builds fine on BeOS :D.