Some bugs

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Lysander

Some bugs

Post by Lysander »

I have played the windows CVS snapshot (4. dec), and here are some (possible) bugs I have found:

Blank player label in multiplayer Game Lobby (should be players name?)

Garbled Status Table in multiplayer; values written on top of each other (changelog says it is fixed now)

Heavy infantry seems a bit too strong for a 1. level unit?

Blood Bat gains more HP than its maximum; possibly a feature (but not clearly stated as possible in the description)

Undead Campaign: no "finish early" money bonus.

Elvish Gryphon Rider extremely mighty for a 1. level creature (but expensive, costs 32)

Spearman may increase directly from level 1 to level 3 (Halbardier)!
When the spearman levels up, you get to choose between going to level 2 or 3.

(Feature request) Create Game dialog should inform how many players the map supports.

--Lysander--
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Spearman should level to pikeman or swordsman...
Blame me for that.
miyo

Re: Some bugs

Post by miyo »

Lysander wrote: Spearman may increase directly from level 1 to level 3 (Halbardier)!
When the spearman levels up, you get to choose between going to level 2 or 3.
Checked and 0.6 RC1 still contains this bug, it has now been fixed in CVS.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Some bugs

Post by Dave »

Lysander wrote: Blank player label in multiplayer Game Lobby (should be players name?)

Garbled Status Table in multiplayer; values written on top of each other (changelog says it is fixed now)
I have a fix for these that should be in the next version.
Lysander wrote: Heavy infantry seems a bit too strong for a 1. level unit?
Heavy infantry is strong, but it's also expensive, slow, easy to hit, and vulnerable to fire, cold, and poison attacks. We haven't tested it alot, further testing will tell if it's too powerful.
Lysander wrote: Blood Bat gains more HP than its maximum; possibly a feature (but not clearly stated as possible in the description)
This is a feature. I have attempted to clarify the unit description.
Lysander wrote: Undead Campaign: no "finish early" money bonus.
I have a fix for this.
Lysander wrote: Elvish Gryphon Rider extremely mighty for a 1. level creature (but expensive, costs 32)
We are discussing what to do with this unit, but for now, it's thought that the cost vs power tradeoff is fairly reasonable.

Thanks for the bug reports!

David
Lysander

More bugs :-)

Post by Lysander »

Thanks for the quick response to my bug report/questions. I have now tried the RC-1 for windows, and here are some additional issues:

Units that kill the last enemy leader/finish the final objective does not level up if they earn enough XP to do so. I noticed this on level 1 in the Undead Campaign.

The map for the 2. Undead scenario doesn't support four sides, stderr.txt contains the error msg. Also, the next_scenario element in "Brother_Against_Brother.cfg" is incompatible with earlier save game (skull_agarash vs Skull_Agarash). This makes the second scenario unplayable (it doesn't load).

There is something strange going on with the Elvish Scout. It is almost completely resistant to bladed attacks. In daylight, on plain tiles, my Orcish Grunt got a 0-3 attack stat in the Choose Weapon's dialogue. At night, my assassin had 1-3 against an Elvish Scout in a village. I cannot match these numbers with the game rules. I suspect this has something to do with wrong resistance values for the Scout. Notice that piercing attacks works fine (The Elvish Scout has an announced -20% against piercing attacks). Am I correct in assuming that this is a bug, and not the Elvish Scout unit being some sort of invincible to blade attacks?

--Lysander--
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

[...] In daylight, on plain tiles...
This should of course be: "on grassland tiles..."
--Lysander--
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: More bugs :-)

Post by Dave »

Lysander wrote: Units that kill the last enemy leader/finish the final objective does not level up if they earn enough XP to do so. I noticed this on level 1 in the Undead Campaign.
This will happen in some scenarios, but not all. Unfortunately it is 'non trivial' to fix -- I am going to have to work on fixing it, and it probably won't get done for the next release.
Lysander wrote: The map for the 2. Undead scenario doesn't support four sides, stderr.txt contains the error msg. Also, the next_scenario element in "Brother_Against_Brother.cfg" is incompatible with earlier save game (skull_agarash vs Skull_Agarash). This makes the second scenario unplayable (it doesn't load).
Yes, this scenario is still awaiting a map. We shall have to remove it for the release.
Lysander wrote: There is something strange going on with the Elvish Scout.
Found the bug. Fixed.

Thanks for the reports! :)

David
Lysander

Elvish Ranger description outdated

Post by Lysander »

In the description for the elvish ranger:
"[...] Able to see well at night with his keen eyes, the Ranger does not suffer the combat penalties at night that other lawful units do."
Now that Elves are neutral, this must surely be wrong?
Also, the Danish translation gives the Marksman and Sharpshooter 70% chance to hit, compared with 60% in the original version.
--Lysander--
methinks

Post by methinks »

I have provided corrected description but it has passed unnotied... or sucked and noone wanted to comment :P
No reason to star a new thread, I have found a new MAJOR bug, games crashes after Konrad moves to his dest. hex in first level. Cannot upload my friggin savegame will email Dave.Huh.
You will have to move Konrad to his hex and wait till dialog ends.
Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

methinks wrote:No reason to star a new thread, I have found a new MAJOR bug, games crashes after Konrad moves to his dest. hex in first level.
Redownload v0.6. This has been fixed.
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=393
Lysander

A handful of (new) bugs

Post by Lysander »

While playing Wesnoth with the new jan 09 win snapshot, some bugs have crossed my path.

I. When the music is playing in the main menu (just after starting the game), there are some "static" noise in the background, and small glitches in the playback. This does not occur when I play the file in Winamp.

II. If a open up the "change resolution" menu, and then right clicks, and then select "Preferences" again, the game hangs for a few seconds, then crashes with a windows dialogue box saying "Program Error". Windows says it has written an error log, but I don't know where it is kept.

III. When selecting the current language (other than English), English is chosen instead.

IV. The sidebar with unit information isn't wide enough for Norwegian text.
This is especially true for the traits, which is comma-separated on the same line.

V. (More localization trouble) There is a new feature, displaying the bonuses for different alignments if you move the mousepointer over the time-of-day picture. "Lawful units: X %" etc. In Norwegian, adjective endings differ in singular and plural, so in unit info in the sidebar it should be "Lovlydig", and in the bonus info, it should be "Lovlydige enheter", while in English, both adjectives is "Lawful", and taken from the same string in the translation file. Thus, strings which may be used both in singular and plural cannot be reused, if supposed to look good in other languages.

VI. In the Undead Campaign, second scenario, the green leader (Ishtar B'tai?) moves onto a village to heal himself. Problem is, this village is already occupied by one of his fighters, and thus the brave Ishtar disappears! He is not dead though, beacuse there should be a message when he dies... see included save game, it is saved at the beginning of my next turn.

VII. Enemy leaders sometimes doesn't attack adjacent opposing units, even if the unit can't retaliate. This is strange, as the leader hasn't got anything to lose. Other times, though, they throw themselves at my strongest unit and lose lot of hitpoints.

VIII. Sometimes AI units move out of a village to attack an adjacent enemy, even if the unit is clearly better off attacking from within the village. This is probably to get out of range from other enemy units(?), but it seems the AI doesn't value expected healing, and defending its own villages.
--Lysander--
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: A handful of (new) bugs

Post by Dave »

Lysander wrote: I. When the music is playing in the main menu (just after starting the game), there are some "static" noise in the background, and small glitches in the playback. This does not occur when I play the file in Winamp.
Yes, I've noticed this too, I'll have to look into it.
Lysander wrote: II. If a open up the "change resolution" menu, and then right clicks, and then select "Preferences" again, the game hangs for a few seconds, then crashes with a windows dialogue box saying "Program Error". Windows says it has written an error log, but I don't know where it is kept.
Hmm...this doesn't happen for me. Let me get it straight...in-game you right-click, select Preferences, select video mode, change the video mode, and then exit out of preferences, right-click, and then when you select Preferences again, it crashes?

Some questions:

- does it happen 100% of the time?
- what version of Windows are you using?
- are you running fullscreen or windowed? Does it happen in both?
- what video modes are you trying to switch between?
Lysander wrote: III. When selecting the current language (other than English), English is chosen instead.
Hmm...I can change language just fine...

You mean that changing language doesn't work at all? If so, how are you giving us other bug reports in the Norwegian translation?
Lysander wrote: IV. The sidebar with unit information isn't wide enough for Norwegian text.
This is especially true for the traits, which is comma-separated on the same line.
We will look into a system where translators can specify their own dimensions of things to fix this, but this isn't implemented yet.
Lysander wrote: V. (More localization trouble) There is a new feature, displaying the bonuses for different alignments if you move the mousepointer over the time-of-day picture. "Lawful units: X %" etc. In Norwegian, adjective endings differ in singular and plural, so in unit info in the sidebar it should be "Lovlydig", and in the bonus info, it should be "Lovlydige enheter", while in English, both adjectives is "Lawful", and taken from the same string in the translation file. Thus, strings which may be used both in singular and plural cannot be reused, if supposed to look good in other languages.
Okay, I will look into finding a solution for this.
Lysander wrote: VI. In the Undead Campaign, second scenario, the green leader (Ishtar B'tai?) moves onto a village to heal himself. Problem is, this village is already occupied by one of his fighters, and thus the brave Ishtar disappears! He is not dead though, beacuse there should be a message when he dies... see included save game, it is saved at the beginning of my next turn.
I believe I now have a fix for this checked into CVS.
Lysander wrote: VII. Enemy leaders sometimes doesn't attack adjacent opposing units, even if the unit can't retaliate. This is strange, as the leader hasn't got anything to lose. Other times, though, they throw themselves at my strongest unit and lose lot of hitpoints.

VIII. Sometimes AI units move out of a village to attack an adjacent enemy, even if the unit is clearly better off attacking from within the village. This is probably to get out of range from other enemy units(?), but it seems the AI doesn't value expected healing, and defending its own villages.
Yeah, we still have a couple of things we have to do to improve the AI.

Thanks for your bug reports, we appreciate them very much!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Lysander

RE: a handful of(new) bugs

Post by Lysander »

Dave wrote:
Lysander wrote: II. If a open up the "change resolution" menu, and then right clicks, and then select "Preferences" again, the game hangs for a few seconds, then crashes with a windows dialogue box saying "Program Error". Windows says it has written an error log, but I don't know where it is kept.
Hmm...this doesn't happen for me. Let me get it straight...in-game you right-click, select Preferences, select video mode, change the video mode, and then exit out of preferences, right-click, and then when you select Preferences again, it crashes?

Some questions:

- does it happen 100% of the time?
- what version of Windows are you using?
- are you running fullscreen or windowed? Does it happen in both?
- what video modes are you trying to switch between?
It happens 100% of the time when I play windowed mode, 1024 x 768 resolution, open up the "change resolution" dialogue, then right click without selecting any video mode, then left click on the "Preferences" menu item. I'm running windows 2000, version 5.0, Service Pack 2.
I've also tried with different modes, and in fullscreen mode, and it always happen. I have included some debug info from a Windows log file (blames SDL_BuildAudioCVT) and BfW's stderr.txt.
Dave wrote:
Lysander wrote: III. When selecting the current language (other than English), English is chosen instead.
Hmm...I can change language just fine...

You mean that changing language doesn't work at all? If so, how are you giving us other bug reports in the Norwegian translation?
What I meant is: When Norwegian is the selected language, and I then re-select Norwegian in the "Language" menu, the current language switches to English. Not a major bug, though.
--Lysander--
capitol

Post by capitol »

The description for the death knight is missing an "o" in the first word
capitol

Post by capitol »

ElvishAvenger_description=".... He cannot
ambush his foes in the forest: ...."

shouldn't it be "He cannot be ambushed by his foes in the forest"?

And beautiful is missing an "a" in the Elvish shyde description.