Wesnoth crash at start

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
lanceleau2

Wesnoth crash at start

Post by lanceleau2 »

Wesnoth 1.10.1 on Gentoo (Linux)

When I try to launch wesnoth, I have this error message :
Unexpected characters after variable name (expected , or =), value ']' at <unknown>:144
I deleted my ".wesnoth" directory and all directories related to wesnoth from my computer and I reinstalled wesnoth and it still does the exact same message.

I red on wesnoth forum that my message means there is a missing "]" somewhere in my config but how to find where is the corrupted file (having the line number is really nice, but without the filename, how to know ?

What should I do to fix this ?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesnoth crash at start

Post by Crendgrim »

Did you also clear $HOME/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10 and $HOME/.config/wesnoth? Given that the gentoo packager did not change paths, these two directories should contain the add-ons respectively settings.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
lanceleau2

Re: Wesnoth crash at start

Post by lanceleau2 »

Hum, thank you for this fast reply, I watched my preference in .config and looked at the line 144 :
[/mp_user_name_history]
[/history]
p_connect_history]
[mp_user_name_history]
There is a missing "["

Then another error message with the number of line again, and I watched that preferences file and seen there was a "[/history] without a "[history] before.

Now it works.
Well I know the solution of deleting this directory would have worked too but I wanted to check how much my config were corrupted.

How can some caracters dissapear from config file like this ? Due to writing on disk when a crash occurs ? A random delete of data ?
Anyway, Thank you again :)