1.10 saves folder mixup?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
nuorc
Forum Regular

1.10 saves folder mixup?

Post by nuorc »

After downloading, installing, playing, saving, quitting BfW1.10 (all default options), shutting down Windows, starting Windows, starting BfW1.10 and trying to load a saved game, it didn't find any files. The saves where at
c:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.10\saves\
while BfW looked at
c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.0\userdata\saves\

Not a big deal, but still an odd behavior? Don't think it was a case of drunken computing... :)

Windows 7 German
BfW 1.10 English
I have a cunning plan.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: 1.10 saves folder mixup?

Post by ivanovic »

nuorc wrote:Not a big deal, but still an odd behavior? Don't think it was a case of drunken computing... :)
No odd behavior. You probably started it differently than the first time. Wesnoth basically has two ways to be started on Windows. One is storing all userdata in the install dir, the other is saving the userdata in a user specific dir. What you are seeing is that your saves were in "your own dir" while wesnoth was looking for the (automatically redirected by windows >= vista!) data in "install dir".

If you directly start the .exe without any parameter storing the userdata in the install dir is the default behavior. If you are using "the correct" start menu shortcut it should look for the userdata in your own documents. I don't know how the shortcuts in the menu are created, if you are asked what you'd prefer during install or if two shortcuts are created.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Ok, thx.

I believe the icon in the start menu still pointed to the old version; while replacing it I even thought for a second "was there some parameters I just lost?"...
I have a cunning plan.
monsieurrigsby

Post by monsieurrigsby »

Sorry to necro the thread slightly but, for completeness' sake, note that
having your user data in your MyGames folder is effected by a run-time parameter to the executable (which is added to the launch shortcut): --config-dir Wesnoth1.10

I had a similar problem to the original poster, in that I added Wesnoth to my Steam games list which, by default, just launches wesnoth.exe with no parameters (and so couldn't see my MyGames saves when launching this way). Adding this parameter to the launcher properties fixed it.