Time running out bug 1.9.14

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
The Black Sword

Time running out bug 1.9.14

Post by The Black Sword »

Currently on Windows Xp, wesnoth 1.9.14.

This bug occurs when you run out of time in the middle of an attack on MP. The easiest way I found to reproduce it is just to hold the "Attack Enemy" window, where you choose which attack to use open as your time runs out. On 1.8 I believe this crashes the game but on 1.9 one side sees the attack taking place and the other side doesn't. It also doesn't seem to throw up OOS errors straight way but eventually this comes up.

Tbh, I'd prefer the game crash on me, then I can just log on and reload. The current situation can sometimes mean I don't know where to reload from and I'll waste my time playing some turns I'm going to have to reload.

Nothing seems to come up in the stderr file. I'm attaching two saves, one from the attacker, time runs out on him during the attack window, and he doesn't see any attack. One from the defender who does see the attack.
Attachments
Defender.gz
(27.73 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Attacker.gz
(27.73 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Time running out bug 1.9.14

Post by Anonymissimus »

a known problem: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?19083
Enough complaints about it could make it more likely that it gets fixed for 1.10.
The problem can be prevented by leaving and rejoining as soon as your client seemed to have performed such an attack; unfortunately the other players usually don't know about that and tend to think I simply left. If the previous crash is actually more desirable it can be restored, so people are forced to make this quit+rejoin instead of getting OOS for an not obvious reason.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Yes, this bug is really annoying and I hope it can be fixed before 1.10 will be released.

@Anonymissimus:
The problem is that the players are very likely to not notice that it even happened until the OOS errors start at a later point when they probably won't know what caused them. (You know this already, it just bears repeating :wink: )
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

a critical game breaking bug that should be fixed asap and be one of the highest of priorities imo
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Enough complaints about it could make it more likely that it gets fixed for 1.10.
I'll try to get a few more complainers then :P .
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Note that it's supposed to be fixed in the next version after Crab's commit.
However, testing is welcome, as always.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

a fix of this would be much appreciated, just to join the chorus.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

While personally i didn't met this bug yet, the chorus convinced me that this is high-prioritity indeed. I'm signing the imaginary petition too.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Anonymissimus wrote:Note that it's supposed to be fixed in the next version after Crab's commit.
However, testing is welcome, as always.
So yes, the fix will be in the next release, no need to "vote" for this...