If i install the new version of Wesnoth...

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
SilverFlash

If i install the new version of Wesnoth...

Post by SilverFlash »

I'm debating whether or not to update to 1.8.6 i have 1.8.5 right now but if i uninstall 1.8.5 and install 1.8.6 will i lose all of my campaign data like the how it indicates i have completed them?
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If i install the new version of Wesnoth...

Post by 8680 »

No, you only lose such data when switching major versions (e.g. 1.8.x to 1.9.x). There should really be no reason to not upgrade if you're using the stable branch.
SilverFlash

Post by SilverFlash »

Okay so i uninstalled 1.8.5 and installed 1.8.6 i dont have any of my saves but more importantly (to me at least) is that when i hit campaigns, the thing that indicates i have completed that campaign is gone. is there someway to get that back or even a way i could just like tell the game i already beat those campaigns without playing all the way through them again? Any help woulld be appreciated. Thanks.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I'm moving this topic to Technical Support, where the helpful tech-savvy types hang out. I suspect that they'll need some more information, however. Most critically - what operating system are you using?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
SilverFlash

Post by SilverFlash »

Hey thank you for directing me the right way. I have Microsoft Windows xp. If someone needs anymore information i could be able to give just let me know.
Thanks again.
Max

Post by Max »

you've either mixed up the option in the installer about the user data directory or selected install directory in both (1.8.5 & 1.8.6) and chose a different path.

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/EditingWesnoth#Windows_2
SilverFlash

Post by SilverFlash »

Alright thank you soo much i think i have kind of figured it out i just dont want to mess anything up now. so im gonna run this by and tell me if it should work. i found the userdata folder in "C:\Program Files\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.5\userdata" this is where 1.8.5 was storing my data and now by reading the article you linked me to i found the new place where it is storing data which is "C:\Documents and Settings\robbinsc\My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.8" so my question is how do i get my data from my old userdata folder (which has a few saves addons and hopefully campaign data that i have completed) to a place where wesnoth 1.8.6 will be able to acces them. Maybe simply moving the folder there? i just don't want to do something that might make things worse.

Thanks so much for the help guys i really appreciate it.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Just copy everything from the old folder to the new one. This shouldn't break anything if done between maintenance releases.
If you're afraid of breaking anything, then simply make a backup-copy of your 1.8.6 userdata folder. This way you're always able to revert everything. ;)

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
SilverFlash

Post by SilverFlash »

Okay so i moved all of the saves from the old folder to the new folder and all of the addons and all of the stuff in the cache folder. When i started up Wesnoth i did have my saves back and all of the addons the only thing im missing is the thing that indicates i have completed a campaign. I know that its probably not necessary but if anyone knows a way i could get those back or like tell the game i beat them without having to play through the whole campaign again it would help a lot. But if its a lost cause id understand haha. Anyways thank you to everyone that has helped me out it is greatly appreciated.
Max

Post by Max »

that's stored in a file called preferences. when you copied the folder you probably got asked if you want to replace that file.
i guess it's save to copy it over from 1.8.5
SilverFlash

Post by SilverFlash »

Okay so i copied over the preferences file. it then asked to replace and i said yes. And now i can't start the application :(
yuniko13

Post by yuniko13 »

Silver flash, I had the same problem.:(
A life full of smiles is a life full of lies.
Micro SD card
Pet insurance
Mp3 player accessories
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

If you don't have a backup of the preferences file from your previous version then trying to replace it with a new one will keep Wesnoth from starting. Just use what you have and be happy that you have your saves available.
first-tiger-hobbes

Post by first-tiger-hobbes »

What if i have the exact same problem but i'm using a mac? more specifically Mac OSX 10.5.8