Keyboard Shortcuts

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Daxion

Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by Daxion »

I'm not sure if it is the right forum, but it says "bugs" at top.
It might also be corrected in the 1.9 version as I'm currently running the stable 1.8 version (on Ubuntu).

During a dialoge scene, it's not possible to use the keyboard shortcuts. Basically there is only one shortcut that's interesting: Ctrl-F for going full screen.
It's a bit annoying when I want to tab out of Wesnoth and read something while the AI does it's moves, and then an event gets triggered...
uncleshelby

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by uncleshelby »

Try frantically banging on those keys. I think Keyboard shortcuts only work when no animations or dialogues are going on.
Timshel
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Maybe it's only me, but pretty often the keyboard shortcuts just quit working properly after playing some time; ctrl+s, ctrl+o and ctrl+space have no effect, s acts like alt+s... Always the same behavior, ends when I quit/restart, sometimes when loading another saved game. I still can use the menu(s), but me like shortcuts. :D

I run Win7 and it was the same with the last stable versions, now 1.10; BfW is the only application I witness this behavior.
I have a cunning plan.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

nuorc wrote:Maybe it's only me, but pretty often the keyboard shortcuts just quit working properly after playing some time; ctrl+s, ctrl+o and ctrl+space have no effect, s acts like alt+s...
After playing some time, or after playing some time and switching applications (probably with ALT-Tab)?

When this happens, hit the left ALT key (simple press-and-release). If that doesn't help, hit the right one.
Max

Post by Max »

nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

JaMiT wrote:
nuorc wrote:Maybe it's only me, but pretty often the keyboard shortcuts just quit working properly after playing some time; ctrl+s, ctrl+o and ctrl+space have no effect, s acts like alt+s...
After playing some time, or after playing some time and switching applications (probably with ALT-Tab)?

When this happens, hit the left ALT key (simple press-and-release). If that doesn't help, hit the right one.
Thank you. I'm frequently switching apps with alt-tab (music player...), I'll try it! :)
Max wrote:see here:
http://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=15567

not fixed yet...
Yeah! I'm not the onkly freak with this prob!!! :D

What's your suspicion?
I have a cunning plan.
Max

Post by Max »

it's an sdl issue - iirc it's fixed in the 2.0 codestream, but not 1.x (which wesnoth uses). and it doesn't look like 2.0 will be released for quite some time.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Max wrote:it's an sdl issue - iirc it's fixed in the 2.0 codestream, but not 1.x (which wesnoth uses). and it doesn't look like 2.0 will be released for quite some time.
Actually, it was fixed in one of the latest builds of 1.x (the last release doesn’t, but the last build does). If you build Wesnoth with one of the latest builds of 1.x the problem should go away.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ancestral wrote:Actually, it was fixed in one of the latest builds of 1.x (the last release doesn’t, but the last build does). If you build Wesnoth with one of the latest builds of 1.x the problem should go away.
1.2.15 was released last month and the topic in question is from two years ago.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

shadowmaster wrote:
ancestral wrote:Actually, it was fixed in one of the latest builds of 1.x (the last release doesn’t, but the last build does). If you build Wesnoth with one of the latest builds of 1.x the problem should go away.
1.2.15 was released last month and the topic in question is from two years ago.
Hope you're just concise and not impatient: Are you implying I should build my own BfW for Win7? The link ancestral provided talks about the cursor getting stuck, while I have problems with the shortcuts; still same thing? thx
I have a cunning plan.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

nuorc wrote:Hope you're just concise and not impatient: Are you implying I should build my own BfW for Win7? The link ancestral provided talks about the cursor getting stuck, while I have problems with the shortcuts; still same thing? thx
Sorry, I have no idea what ancestral’s talking about. I was just pointing out a problem with his information.

I for one have absolutely no idea about the current situation in Windows.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

nuorc wrote:Hope you're just concise and not impatient: Are you implying I should build my own BfW for Win7?
Well, building your own BfW would likely not help anyway, assuming this is the SDL problem.

The SDL 1.2.15 release notes reports "Fixed application state handling with ALT-Tab" under the Windows notes, so I think you would see an improvement if you upgraded Wesnoth's SDL from 1.2.13 (as packaged with Wesnoth for Windows) to 1.2.15. However, doing so may cause other unforeseen problems; don't complain if it causes your computer to explode. :) OK, not that bad, but I cannot promise that there will be no problems.

If you are willing to experiment: try downloading the Win32 runtime library from SDL's site (not the 64-bit version, I believe, as your Wesnoth is probably a 32-bit application), then replace SDL.dll in your Wesnoth directory with the version you downloaded. Keep a copy of the original file in case something goes wrong, though. Your computer will not explode (probably), but this process comes with no warranties. On the other hand, I just ran a quick test, and Wesnoth ran, and the ALT key did not get stuck when I switched applications with ALT-Tab. Your mileage may vary.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

shadowmaster wrote:
nuorc wrote:Hope you're just concise and not impatient: Are you implying I should build my own BfW for Win7? The link ancestral provided talks about the cursor getting stuck, while I have problems with the shortcuts; still same thing? thx
Sorry, I have no idea what ancestral’s talking about. I was just pointing out a problem with his information.

I for one have absolutely no idea about the current situation in Windows.
Sorry, I posted the wrong link.

I can’t seem find it at the moment, but there was an update to libsdl in September that fixed this issue. Dungeons of Dredmor uses SDL as well and they reported a patch someone on the SDL team used did fix the problem. You’ll notice their changelog mentions the issue.

Update: This.

Update 2: I mentioned this once on IRC.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

ancestral wrote:I can’t seem find it at the moment, but there was an update to libsdl in September that fixed this issue.
True, and that update made it into the release that followed it (SDL 1.2.15, released a bit more than four months later on January 20). So both the latest build and the latest release have it. ;)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

The SDl header file I use for building on win says 1.2.13, and I can reproduce https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=15567 with the binary. Note that I couldn't reproduce on Linux and I don't think the reason is different SDL version. So is it an upstream problem ?
And are you sure it's not actually this bug: https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=17244 ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign