Valley of Statues story quirks

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
allover

Valley of Statues story quirks

Post by allover »

I just played Valley of Statues, 0.8.4, on Easy, and I noticed some odd things. First of all, the instructions say "Kill all enemies" but the scenario ends, to my surprise, when you kill all enemy *leaders*. (I sent some infiltrators down to wipe out the bottom arch-mage while I was still mopping up orcs, which I was doing in a strange order because all my forces were *past* the orc citadel before I unfroze everyone. This was because my gryphons all got stoned early on, through foolishness (and a suspicion that dawn was going to unfreeze everybody).

What happens if you never break the mirror and win anyway? Do your troops get un-stoned (sober up?) anyway? Can you recruit cockatrices? *Can* you win without breaking the mirror?

Anyway, my substantive complaint is that the instructions should be clearer.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Valley of Statues story quirks

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

allover wrote:What happens if you never break the mirror and win anyway?
You can't kill the stone orc.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

... and you need to kill that orc to win. So you need to break the mirror.
scott

Post by scott »

Is there some kind of message that you get if you kill all the mages and their minions? So you're not standing around wondering what to do for the last 15 turns.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

no. Hopefully people will notice conspicuous objects like temples...
but it makes no sense that you need to kill a stoned unit to get by. Once you defeat the mages(leaders), maybe you could have an option between continuing and leaving your stoned units forever, versus staying and searching for a clue to unstone them.
scott

Post by scott »

event
name=die

filter
description=both mages

narrator: after killing the mages, the heroes noticed a mirror
guy1: hey look a mirror! should I smash it?
delfador: no wait!
guy2: too late

orcs: heh heh we'll kill you, ooga booga
konrad: shoot we need to kill these guys now
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
allover

Complicated end conditions

Post by allover »

Dacyn wrote:no. Hopefully people will notice conspicuous objects like temples...
but it makes no sense that you need to kill a stoned unit to get by. Once you defeat the mages(leaders), maybe you could have an option between continuing and leaving your stoned units forever, versus staying and searching for a clue to unstone them.
I like this idea, but it seems to pose some technical hurdles. If the user somehow kills all the non-stone enemies without getting a stone unit, they *really* have no reason to go breaking the mirror even if they find it.

If the user has some stone units, then it would make sense to offer them the choice of abandoning their units (taken off the recall list as if dead) and not killing the stone enemies or reviving everybody and the killing off the orcs.

If the user has Li'sar or Kalenz stoned, then they certainly need to break the curse to continue.

I like the idea of some clever code that does this, but I'm sure not up to writing it. An easier alternative (perhaps a temporary fix?) would be to add a second scenario objective: "Solve the mystery of the valley of the statues".

I must say, if the user has no stone units, she may well prefer not to break the mirror until she's killed everybody else, even though she walks into the temple earlier than that. A choice would be nice...