Can I Change Lobby Update Frequency?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
flynnk

Can I Change Lobby Update Frequency?

Post by flynnk »

Bottom line up front: Is there a way to reduce the frequency at which the multiplayer lobby updates?

Explanation follows:

I have an occasional problem accessing the Wesnoth 1.8 lobby. If the lobby is busy (around 65+ active games), the lobby screen comes opens and populates, but I cannot interact with it. Computer memory use goes to 100%, and eventually Windows reports that the game has stopped responding.

I suspect the cause of the problem is that my computer, or possibly my slow internet connection, means that the lobby cannot finish updating and/or refreshing before the next update/refresh cycle begins. Thus, the game gets stuck perpetually updating.

Therefore, if someone can tell me how to increase the time between updates, I think I can fix the problem. I am not a computer guru, so please use small words :). Thanks for your help.

I run Windows XP SP3, Intel Celeron 2GHZ processor, 1G RAM, DSL speed approx 1gps. I run Wesnoth Version 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 with the Ageless add-on pack.
ShakeZula

Re: Can I Change Lobby Update Frequency?

Post by ShakeZula »

I would second any option to change the update frequency, if I use the filter it hangs every few seconds seemingly because its updating the game list. I don't know if this may be related or not.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Your system is more than powerful enough to run Wesnoth flawlessly, and your internet connection is amazing (if "gbps" is not a type that is). This excessive resource usage is either a bug in the way Wesnoth interacts with your system, or something else interfering.

We need more information. By "100%" do you mean memory, or processor? Are you using the old lobby or the experimental one? Are you in a game, or just coasting in the waiting room?

To answer your question, there is no way to change the update frequency that I know of. Whether or not you could edit the source to change this depends on whether the lobby pushes or pulls these updates.

That's everything I've got. Hopefully someone else will come along who knows more.
flynnk

Post by flynnk »

Gambit,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, some of your questions have exceeded my computer knowledge. I'll answer as I can, however:

My "amazing" internet connection is a standard DSL connection from the local provider here in Seattle. If 1.0gbps is unusual for that type of service, then I probably misread the DSL provider's pop-up connection monitor (I'm not on my home computer at the moment, so I can't confirm it). Just assume a cheap DSL hookup in a major city and you can probably guess my speed more accurately than I can report it. For reference, downloading Wesnoth the first time took around 30 minutes iirc.

100% memory usage comes from Windows Task Manager's CPU Usage History.

I currently use the new lobby, but before I switched, I had the same problem while using the old lobby interface.

I am just coasting in the waiting room. Problem occurs regardless of what other programs I have running. Typically, I have no other programs running.

Again, thanks for your help.

Flynn
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Ah. Yeah I think that 1gps is just what windows says your ethernet card is capable of. You could get a real speed test online. I like speedtest and speakeasy.

One hundred percent processor usage while idling in the lobby is strange. Can you go to the processes tab and see how much is used by wesnoth.exe? And you say you had the same issues with the 1.6 style lobby?
flynnk

Post by flynnk »

Gambit,

Yes, I had the same problems with the 1.6 lobby.

I opened the lobby today. It was showing 85 active games. When I called up Task Manager, it reported 158,000k mem usage, and 99% CPU. The next largest task was taking up less than 10,000k mem and 0% CPU.

Flynn
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

flynnk wrote:Bottom line up front: Is there a way to reduce the frequency at which the multiplayer lobby updates?
Change the lobby_refresh key in data/game_config.cfg. The value is in milliseconds.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
flynnk

Post by flynnk »

Soliton,

Thanks. I reduced the update freq from 1000 ms to 2000 ms between updates. I had to wait for the weekend to really test it. Today, with 88 active games, the lobby worked fine. I think this soved the problem. I'm forever in your debt, owe you my life, eternally grateful, and all that jazz. Thanks for your help.

Flynn