wesnoth can start but menu will not respond

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Outrider

wesnoth can start but menu will not respond

Post by Outrider »

I am using OpenSuse 11.2 and using Wesnoth 1.8.5 and I can start the program, but then none of the options on the main menu will respond.
Winderly

Re: wesnoth can start but menu will not respond

Post by Winderly »

i am using opensuse 11.3 x86_64 and experiencing the same problem i believe

the mouse won't work whatever button i try

the keyboard seems to somewhat work (arrows and escape and return) but that wouldn't allow me to play
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

As a test, can you two try hitting ctrl+f to switch to fullscreen, and let us know if that allows you to click things? I think it may be this bug, though it was previously only with ubuntu.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Gambit wrote:As a test, can you two try hitting ctrl+f to switch to fullscreen, and let us know if that allows you to click things? I think it may be this bug, though it was previously only with ubuntu.
The bug does not depend on ubuntu or stuff like this, it depends on the version of libsdl that is used. If a broken libsdl (1.2.14 without patches for the issue) is used, you get it. If you get the bug, post a bug report for the libsdl packagers of your distribution so that they do include the fix until libsdl 1.2.15 is released.
Winderly

Post by Winderly »

Gambit wrote:As a test, can you two try hitting ctrl+f to switch to fullscreen, and let us know if that allows you to click things? I think it may be this bug, though it was previously only with ubuntu.
i tried the ctrl+f switch, which actually made wesnoth fullscreen, and so slow that even the keyboard wouldn't respond :|

if it is related to a certain library i'm stuck because i have no clue how to contact anyone working on my distro
Outrider

Post by Outrider »

When I set it to fullscreen it did work
Winderly

Post by Winderly »

ivanovic wrote:
The bug does not depend on ubuntu or stuff like this, it depends on the version of libsdl that is used. If a broken libsdl (1.2.14 without patches for the issue) is used, you get it. If you get the bug, post a bug report for the libsdl packagers of your distribution so that they do include the fix until libsdl 1.2.15 is released.
It seems i have the broken libsdl.
vcap

Post by vcap »

Winderly wrote:
i tried the ctrl+f switch, which actually made wesnoth fullscreen, and so slow that even the keyboard wouldn't respond :|
Then you have another problem besides this one. Maybe related to this, which is from another OpenSuse user.
Winderly wrote:if it is related to a certain library i'm stuck because i have no clue how to contact anyone working on my distro
I did some research and it seems that the OpenSuse people are aware of the bug mentioned by Gambit and Ivanovic. No idea when they will fix it, though.

Code: Select all

$ wget http://download.opensuse.org/source/factory/repo/oss/suse/src/SDL-1.2.14-8.5.src.rpm
$ rpm2cpio SDL-1.2.14-8.5.src.rpm | gzip -d | cpio --list
SDL-1.2.13-x11-keytounicode.patch
SDL-1.2.14-wesnoth_clicks.patch
SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz
SDL.spec
baselibs.conf
7880 blocks
SDL-1.2.14-wesnoth_clicks.patch: this is the one. It's not in SDL-1.2.14-5.2, among others.
Winderly

Post by Winderly »

vcap wrote: I did some research and it seems that the OpenSuse people are aware of the bug mentioned by Gambit and Ivanovic. No idea when they will fix it, though.

Code: Select all

$ wget http://download.opensuse.org/source/factory/repo/oss/suse/src/SDL-1.2.14-8.5.src.rpm
$ rpm2cpio SDL-1.2.14-8.5.src.rpm | gzip -d | cpio --list
SDL-1.2.13-x11-keytounicode.patch
SDL-1.2.14-wesnoth_clicks.patch
SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz
SDL.spec
baselibs.conf
7880 blocks
SDL-1.2.14-wesnoth_clicks.patch: this is the one. It's not in SDL-1.2.14-5.2, among others.
Thanks for the patience.
i couldn't find a way to download the patch, so i'll have to wait for a fixed SDL library in my common repositories.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The OP's problem is solved. Marking complete.