1.9.0 bugs and feedback

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Simons Mith

1.9.0 bugs and feedback

Post by Simons Mith »

Caveat; these were encountered on a Mac OS 10.5 compile of build 45841, which is slightly before the official 1.9.0. Will edit and update if there are any significant changes in behaviour when I get the full version.

1. If you have a startup error, (in my case the Ancient Era used by Bad Moon Rising was not available), you get an error box popping up above the progress bar. Click OK, possibly two or three times, to acknowledge the error, the error box and mouse pointer do not get erased from the screen, so they appear to freeze in place as an unclickable window and a frozen graphical mouse pointer obscuring the Wesnoth logo.
Edit: This is a transient issue, because once Wesnoth has finished caching whatever it caches, the loading progress bar screen disappears too quickly for you to be able to tell there's anything wrong. You only notice it when the caching takes a significant amount of time to complete, /and/ you have an error of some kind.

2. (Not 1.9.0-specific) The feedback 'envelope' icon on the Wesnoth main screen is terribly shy. Why's that? Edit: Come to think of it, why not just have a full-size button labeled Feedback along with the rest of the main menu buttons?

3. Dancing saurians: 1.9.0 saurians are clearly extremely groovy. They never stop moving. It looks like they're dancing to the game music. Or else maybe they all have terribly weak bladders. Now, I'm cool with fliers flapping constantly, but I feel that anything that can stand still on the ground mostly should. The side-to-side tail movement and balance shift would make a wonderful idle animation, especially as it could be looped to randomly repeat 1-3 times. But, please, not all the time; they're just too fidgety.

4. Italic text at the end of a dialog gets cut off partway through the final letter. I know this is a known issue. Dunno if it's a fixed issue.

5. Bold text; I get no discernible difference between normal and bold text in character dialogs, and I've marked up quite a lot of strings as bold. Is there a difference? Should there be? Is there another font I should download? <i>, <big> and <small> are all fine, and AFAICS bold works fine in e.g. scenario objectives windows.

6. Similarly, I've put sexed quotes in in lots of places, but can't see them in game. I think it's because the font is too small to make them out clearly even though they're there. Even when I go from 1600x1040 or whatever-it-is down to 800x600 to make the text bigger. Is there a facility to bump up the base font size of Wesnoth dialogue? If so I'd scale things up by 25-50% and would be able to read the text easier, and see my typography changes. (I feel this should be a configurable option, not something that needs mucking about inside cfg files to change.)
Last edited by Simons Mith on August 22nd, 2010, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leid

Re: 1.9.0 bugs and feedback

Post by Leid »

When I try to connect multiplayer at v1.9.0, I have a runtime error :( I use windows Vista home premium.
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Leid wrote:When I try to connect multiplayer at v1.9.0, I have a runtime error :( I use windows Vista home premium.
That is one of the known problems:
It is currently not possible to connect to the official multiplayer server using "Join official server" (this currently leads to the game crashing). Instead you have to click on "Join server" and enter "server.wesnoth.org:14997" in there. Reported as bug #16502
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Leid

Post by Leid »

Ok, thx
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

When a lvl 3 unit advances (AMLA), the game crashes.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Simons Mith wrote: 3. Dancing saurians: 1.9.0 saurians are clearly extremely groovy. They never stop moving. It looks like they're dancing to the game music. Or else maybe they all have terribly weak bladders. Now, I'm cool with fliers flapping constantly, but I feel that anything that can stand still on the ground mostly should. The side-to-side tail movement and balance shift would make a wonderful idle animation, especially as it could be looped to randomly repeat 1-3 times. But, please, not all the time; they're just too fidgety.
It's called a standing animation, and at some point every unit will have them.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Gambit wrote:It's called a standing animation, and at some point every unit will have them.
I get the flying animations, but every unit on the map will eventually be constantly moving? That sounds like a really bad thing. If the developers want to liven things up, why not create multiple idle animations for units? Literally every unit will have a looping standing animation? Can't people work on other things instead, like animated waterfalls, or animals (like moles) that crawl out of (and move back into) the ground, or birds that sit on a hex fly to another (on an empty village) and then off the screen, or trees moving because of blowing wind, or whatever?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

norbert wrote:I get the flying animations, but every unit on the map will eventually be constantly moving? That sounds like a really bad thing.
I'm in this camp too. Could I make a request that there be some way to turn those off, without halting all other animations? Maybe enclosing the animations WML in some preprocessor #ifdef thing.

Worst case though, those of us who care to can still edit the unit files. As long as the animations are not moved entirely to C++.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, there's an advanced preference option for turning of all standing animations, but that affects flyers too of course.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Standing animations / flying animations would be an obvious split. And as a refinement 'include standing animations as idle', which would allow e.g. saurians to shuffle from side to side every now and then, rather than constantly.

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Simons Mith wrote:Standing animations / flying animations would be an obvious split.
Why? To me it's always looked queer (as in odd!) that bats and ghosts and what not are flapping around, while the other units aren't even breathing.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Gambit wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:Standing animations / flying animations would be an obvious split.
Why? To me it's always looked queer (as in odd!) that bats and ghosts and what not are flapping around, while the other units aren't even breathing.
How could you reasonably incorporate breathing animations into units only a few tens of pixels high? You don't notice people breathing IRL unless they're close and you specifically look.

Standing animations as you seem to be proposing them are breaking an elementary principle: while it's perfectly OK for a unit which must move to maintain position to do so, any living creature that can just stand there, mostly will. Needless movement wastes energy. Moving constantly when you don't need to is frankly absurd. Snakes, lizards and insects can remain motionless for hours on end; and that's another strike against animating the lizard-like saurians in this manner.

TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Yeah, I'm in the "No Dancing Units Unless You Are Planning On Putting In Disco Music" camp
Founding Father of Columbia
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I think it's important for flying units to have standing animations, however. Perhaps there could be an option that would allow you to turn off standing animations for non-aerial units?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
norbert

Post by norbert »

TheBladeRoden wrote:[...] Unless You Are Planning On Putting In Disco Music
Attachment... :lol2:
Attachments
Groovy!
Groovy!
Soothsayer_dancing.gif (4.53 KiB) Viewed 3479 times