my documents

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
new2

my documents

Post by new2 »

In newer Wesnoth Versions is the option to save the savings in my documents. But this don't happens. It is anyway in userdata.
Ageless!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: my documents

Post by Sapient »

Probably because you are running the executable file directly rather than starting Wesnoth via the shortcut created by the installer.

If you start Wesnoth by running the executable file directly, then it will use only the default commandline arguments.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
new2

Post by new2 »

Sapient wrote:Probably because you are running the executable file directly rather than starting Wesnoth via the shortcut created by the installer.

If you start Wesnoth by running the executable file directly, then it will use only the default commandline arguments.
what should be the difference there? I rather think that it could be a prolbem of the installation. My OS is WinXP. Maybe that helps.
Ageless!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

new2 wrote:
Sapient wrote:Probably because you are running the executable file directly rather than starting Wesnoth via the shortcut created by the installer.

what should be the difference there? I rather think that it could be a prolbem of the installation. My OS is WinXP. Maybe that helps.
The difference is that the shortcuts in the start menu do include some additional parameters that you do have to supply to switch the folder where you want to have your userdata.
new2

Post by new2 »

If I make a shortcut it is a link to a program. There are no other parameters. This is it surely not.
Ageless!
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

This is EXACTLY your problem: When YOU create the link it's just a link to a program.

The start menu link created by the installer looks like this:
wes link.JPG
See that "--config-dir" part?

When YOU create the shortcut manually the link is like this:
wes link2.JPG
See how the "--config-dir" part is NOT there? THAT's your problem. When you create the link yourself you need to add it.

Or you could create a shortcut to the link in the Start menu.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
new2

Post by new2 »

wes.JPG
I made the shortcut manual. first I've started it directly out of the directory because I had my 1.8.1 shortcut and I only tried 1.8.4. later I made the shortcut.
Ageless!
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

new2 wrote:I made the shortcut manual. first I've started it directly out of the directory because I had my 1.8.1 shortcut and I only tried 1.8.4. later I made the shortcut.
That's the source of your problem. Use the shortcut the game creates, or edit your shortcut and make it like the one from my first screenshot.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
new2

Post by new2 »

and what if I start wesnoth directly? If I have Wesnoth 1.8.1 and 1.8.4 I have only one Shortcut at my desktop. Can't be this location configuration internal in Wesnoth?
Ageless!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

How can Wesnoth load the userdata location from your preferences file? If it doesn't know the userdata location then it doesn't know where to get the correct preferences file.

The location could be saved in the Windows registry during installation, I suppose, but that would require a patch to the game and a change to the installer, and it would be difficult for the user to find if they wanted to change it later.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Not to speak of the angry purists people who think that applications adding registry entries upon installation is a violation of their privacy.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.