Wesnoth 1.8.0 could not connect to host error

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Sardit

Wesnoth 1.8.0 could not connect to host error

Post by Sardit »

My girlfriend using a windows vista home basic system 2 gigs of ram cpu intel 2 ghz the 32 bit version and wesnoth 1.8.0 has the error "could not connect to host" pop up randomnly when trying to connect to the official wesnoth server. The strange thing is that at that same time i can connect to the servers. She's from New Zealand, i'm logging on from Holland so it could be the geography has something to do with it.
However, at the time of the errors, she is able to perform ping and pathtrace on the wesnoth servers without problems. At the time of connecting she is also able to have a skype call open without that one breaking off. The error persists weather or not skype is or isn't running. Same with torrent programs and the like. The error started once she downloaded version 1.8.0, and didn't occur in the 1.6 branch. Its not constant though. Since trying again repeatedly sometimes does fix the issue. And we have been able to play multiple games since it has started to occur.

I'm completely lost in its cause here, the errors seem to come up at randomn, but sometimes don't happen. Time of login doesn't seem to be effecting it. Next to that the fact that i am able to log on and see multiple players online at the times she's unable to connect suggests that it isn't a general server error.

Any ideas from you guys?

//regards Sardit
adm

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.0 could not connect to host error

Post by adm »

Have you tried downloading and installing wesnoth 1.8.1?
Sardit

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.0 could not connect to host error

Post by Sardit »

according to the changelog nothing regarding networking changed in the patch from 1.8.0 --> 1.8.1 so it shouldn't change anything. Nevertheless she's downloading it to upgrade.