Map editor: resizing messes up the terrain.

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
batoonike

Map editor: resizing messes up the terrain.

Post by batoonike »

Version 1.6.4+svn
Windows XP

I resized the map quite a few times and it worked fine, but after a few more resizes it messed up the terrain just a little bit everywhere. Most of the tiles are still there, but it looks like every other column of hexagons was copied over the one next to it.

The mixed-up pick is original screenshot after I found the bug, the "proper-wall pick" is my recreation and its not 100% accurate, but the cave wall and mountains are placed where they were before mixing up.
Notice how 2 parallel walls of cave-wall and impassable mountains merged together after a few resizes. I am not 100% positive whether just 1 resize did it or it happened after many resizes, since I didnt even notice the bug for a while.
I believe the bug occured when making the map bigger. I made it bigger like just 1 or 2 tiles in width or height, not both at the same time.
I didnt receive any error messages.
Nevertheless, it effectively destroys the map.

Before:
After:

*Note that images may not be visible in the future.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Re: Map editor: resizing messes up the terrain.

Post by ilor »

something indeed seems to be wrong with one or more specific ways (directions) of resizing which resuluts in the shift. Would you care to post a bug report at gna?

edit: problem seems to happen when resizing horizontally with the direction selector in the middle
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

"Would you care to post a bug report at gna?"

To be honest, no. Or maybe if you explain what does "posting a bug report at gna" mean really?
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

Actually, now that I see this report while not sleep-deprived, this is not a bug.

Simply put, it's not possible to add an odd amount of columns to the left of the map without the "messing up". It would probably be good to have a warning message to that effect somewhere.

A workaround is to copy the entire map to the clipboard, resize and paste. This will also show why it's not really possible to do "right".
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

Yeah it makes sense actually, since the hexagons just have to move to "wrong" places. While the coordinates prolly stay correct, it looks bad. I think there should really be limitator then, that you cant add odd number of columns to left. I deleted my map after it happened, didnt look like it could be saved.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The 1.3 map change caused similar issues. While wmllint could upconvert the format, it didn't add two rows and columns for the new borders. The only way to fix the maps was to add a single column to the left side, to undo the damage. (and a row to the top, a row to the bottom and a column to the right)
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

batoonike wrote:Yeah it makes sense actually, since the hexagons just have to move to "wrong" places. While the coordinates prolly stay correct, it looks bad. I think there should really be limitator then, that you cant add odd number of columns to left. I deleted my map after it happened, didnt look like it could be saved.
There's always undo.
Rya

Post by Rya »

I think if you only want to add or remove one column then you can still do it without messing it up by select the corners instead of the sides in the 3x3 grid. So that the map gets moves southeast or northeast instead of east.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".