control keys don't work

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
spir

control keys don't work

Post by spir »

Hello,

in-game control-keys, such as control-space to end a turn, do not work by me. Do you know about similar issues?

Info:
* The issue remains with several releases of wesnoth of both the stable and dev branches.
* I tried with several keyboards in case there would be a materiel issue (but control keys work fine with all other programs, anyway).
* I have a french keyboard and french system settings. I tried with wesnoth itself in english and french (in case control-keys would change according to language).
* It used to work years ago (I haven't played wesnoth for a long while in-between).
* Ubuntu 9.04, presently wesnoth 1.6.4 and 1.7.5.
Denis
life is strange

various stuff about BfW (rules, stats, alternatives) and WML (parser, semantic schema, evolution)
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: control keys don't work

Post by Soliton »

Check under Preferences -> Hotkeys that the hotkeys are really assigned to what you think they are and maybe try to re-set them.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
spir

Post by spir »

Thank you for your hint.

Now, I now the title was precise enough: it's not hotkeys that don't work, but precisely control keys. For instance, when changing next turn to alt+space, all works fine.
Now, I really have no clue about the source of the issue. Because (as sais above), I have this problem only with BfW, and even after changing keyboard. There must be a rather wesnoth-specific issue (I don't mean necessarily a bug, rather I'm thinking at a set of factors that together cause this (non-)behaviour).
Denis
life is strange

various stuff about BfW (rules, stats, alternatives) and WML (parser, semantic schema, evolution)
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

ctrl+space is used by some window managers. Are you really able to assign ctrl+space as a hotkey and then it simply doesn't work?
Max

Post by Max »

some hotkeys never worked for me (1.4 up to latest dev version), e.g. the one for mute (ctrl-alt m). when i try to change those to the same value they have been set before it either get's cleared or some other char appears (ctrl-alt `).

everything works though if i run wesnoth in linux in a VM (on the same machine).
spir

Post by spir »

Soliton wrote:ctrl+space is used by some window managers. Are you really able to assign ctrl+space as a hotkey and then it simply doesn't work?
Well, I never assigned it to "end turn", AFAIK it's the default one. And no control key at all works for me, eg control+v (ennemy move) or control+r (recruit) -- but alt+r (recall) works.

Anyway, it's not a serious issue. I asked if ever the problem was known on your side, or someone had a clue.
Denis
life is strange

Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

spir wrote:
Soliton wrote:ctrl+space is used by some window managers. Are you really able to assign ctrl+space as a hotkey and then it simply doesn't work?
Well, I never assigned it to "end turn", AFAIK it's the default one.
I know... I asked what happens when you try to assign a hotkey with ctrl in it. If that doesn't work the key doesn't even reach wesnoth.
spir

Post by spir »

I know... I asked what happens when you try to assign a hotkey with ctrl in it. If that doesn't work the key doesn't even reach wesnoth.
... and you were right to ask, indeed! ;-)

Well, when trying this, the "control" part does not appear. Eg "control+a" shows as "a".
Hum... I'll test if it works, then, as shown... Yo! I assigned (tried to) control+h to help, it shows as "h" only, then the 'h' key actually triggers help.
Hope this helps.
Denis
life is strange