Creating a server on a mac

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
tdickson

Creating a server on a mac

Post by tdickson »

I looked through the faq and the forum and really found no way to make a server on the mac. I know you need to compile the game with something, but what exactly do i do. so what i am asking is for someone to post a quick guide on how to set up a server on a mac.

thank
Max

Re: Creating a server on a mac

Post by Max »

mp server was added in 1.6 for mac. you can launch it from the console:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Wesnoth_1_6_5.app/Contents/MacOS/Wesnoth\ MP\ Server
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

You can also do a secondary-click on the app and choose "Show Package Contents" and navigate to the MP server app. You could add it to the dock or make an alias and stick that somewhere else.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Multiplayer -> Host Networked Game should start it automatically.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
tdickson

Post by tdickson »

i tried those thing and keep getting an error saying i need 1.7.0 and im using 1.7.5. i checked the website and they only offer 1.7.4-5. where can i get 1.7.0
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Well it works fine for me with 1.7.5, so I'm gonna need more details.

I assume you're running 1.7.5? And when exactly does it say you need 1.7.0? Any more details that you think might be applicable...
tdickson

Post by tdickson »

when i go to multiplayer> host network game, i get a loading screen, and then a message saying that the server requires version 1.7.0.
Max

Post by Max »

here's what i get ever time i try to connect to a server with a different version:

20090927 04:06:41 error network: caught network::error: The server requires version '1.7.3' while you are using version '1.7.2'
tdickson

Post by tdickson »

here is my error when i launch from contents

Last login: Sun Sep 27 16:06:13 on ttyp1
/Volumes/Wesnoth\ 1.6.5/Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Wesnoth\ MP\ Server; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
localhost:~ tomdickson$ /Volumes/Wesnoth\ 1.6.5/Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Wesnoth\ MP\ Server; exit
20090927 16:06:22 error server: Caught network error while server was running. Aborting.: Could not bind to port
logout
[Process completed]
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

There is already a wesnoth server running or some other program is using port 15000 which seems pretty unlikely.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
tdickson

Post by tdickson »

so how would i fix that.
tdickson

Post by tdickson »

i am very confused. i have done alot of searching an still cannot figure this out. why is it when i try to host a server, by clicking the host server option in the multiplayer menu, i get an error message saying i need version 1.7.0. surly other people have encountered this problem.
tdickson

Post by tdickson »

Max2008 wrote:here's what i get ever time i try to connect to a server with a different version:

20090927 04:06:41 error network: caught network::error: The server requires version '1.7.3' while you are using version '1.7.2'
yes but im not trying to connect to a server im trying to create one
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Soliton wrote:There is already a wesnoth server running or some other program is using port 15000 which seems pretty unlikely.
I've not played with the latest version of the server, but you may try to look in activity monitor. Look for wesnothd/MP Server, and quit that. Then retry launching the server. You might not find it in the Dock as wesnothd is a background application.

Or the problem could be that the versioning of wesnothd in the latest build is *not* the same as the wesnoth program itself. Launch it via Terminal first, and see the version displayed if possible. I'll take a look when I'm with my Mac.

EDIT: Minor additional notes.
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Sorry but I'm unable to reproduce the "wrong version" error (but I'm on 1.6.4) by launching. What I think is the problem is that you have opened the servers of multiple versions when trying to "solve this problem". Thus you opened the server of another version while trying to connect with the version you're trying. I think the best solution is to restart your computer and then launch wesnothd/MP Server from "package contents". Then use the same version of wesnoth on the same computer to connect to the server (server: localhost). You should be able to log in. Then you should be able to log in with other computers on the same network, but they all must be of the same version as the server.

This is what you should get when you launch wesnothd via Terminal:

This is me logging in:

What most people don't get is that you need to manually close the server via Activity Monitor as it runs in the background, or else this happens when you try to open the server with another version:

Or log with a different Wesnoth version:

So turn it off by "Force Quitting", so that you can open up Wesnothd via Wesnoth itself (albeit I did cheat by hosting with 1.6 instead of 1.7):

All the best! (Sorry I'm a bit lazy to crop+scale rather than just cropping the screen captures)
Take a breath.