HttT: Crossroads 1.7.3

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
omgimdead

HttT: Crossroads 1.7.3

Post by omgimdead »

Hi, was playing this mission when i ran into a bug. When I end my turn, the AI does nothing for a while, then the game crashes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it didn't work.
Attachments
HttT-Crossroads-Auto-Save1.gz
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: HttT: Crossroads 1.7.3

Post by Soliton »

Already fixed. Wait for 1.7.4.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Talking of this Crossroads Scenario, can someone check if Goblins that are spammed through abushes have/lack traits? I noticed in 1.6.0 that they didn't have their negative traits, which they probably should.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
johnman68

Post by johnman68 »

That is great that is GOING TO BE fixed...when can we expect 1.7.4?

My campaign is of course unplyable due to this bug. I'm not really interested in starting a new one, I'm very into the one I'm currrently playing.

John :?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

johnman68 wrote:My campaign is of course unplyable due to this bug. I'm not really interested in starting a new one, I'm very into the one I'm currrently playing.
Well, then you should probably be playing on the stable branch in the first place.
johnman68

Post by johnman68 »

Nice snotty answer.
Your advice is not well received. My advice to you is to stay off the forums if you're going to answer players in that fashion. You want this game to be successfull you should start using some customer service skills or else keep your comments to yourself and let someone with more tact handle it.

I like the game, I'm disappointed I have a campaign bug. I understand that the version is not fully complete but I was of the understanding that our feedback is still needed by your staff.

It would be appreciated if a better answer could be provided. For example I asked when would the change to this bug be made? Additionally since you expect us to wait patiently for this change you might do us the favour of letting us know if our save games will be compatible with the change when it is made. Otherwise we're waiting for no good reason. in other words we should just delete the 1.7.3 version and not trust your game as anywhere stable at all for the campaign.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

johnman68 wrote:Nice snotty answer.
I think it was as polite as your correction to my answer. Which is infact why I was not going to bother answering you, you know better anyway.
johnman68 wrote:Your advice is not well received. My advice to you is to stay off the forums if you're going to answer players in that fashion. You want this game to be successfull you should start using some customer service skills or else keep your comments to yourself and let someone with more tact handle it.
I'm afraid people are mostly handled similar to how they act here.
johnman68 wrote:I like the game, I'm disappointed I have a campaign bug. I understand that the version is not fully complete but I was of the understanding that our feedback is still needed by your staff.
Sure, bug reports are always welcome.
johnman68 wrote:It would be appreciated if a better answer could be provided. For example I asked when would the change to this bug be made?
As you've been told it was already made so if you wanted to bother to look any further in how wesnoth development works you'd see that you can also get the fix on your own but it would probably require some effort on your part or at least a polite question.
johnman68 wrote:Additionally since you expect us to wait patiently for this change you might do us the favour of letting us know if our save games will be compatible with the change when it is made. Otherwise we're waiting for no good reason. in other words we should just delete the 1.7.3 version and not trust your game as anywhere stable at all for the campaign.
Why exactly do you think we have a stable version and a development version? And yes I could do you a favour but I suppose you know how I feel about that by now. You're free to demand your money back.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
peet

Post by peet »

Whoa, slow down.

If you want "customer service skills" perhaps you should pick up a game where you are actually a customer. That means you paid for the game and the people who make it are paid to answer questions like this.

But Wesnoth is a free game and everyone who works on it is a volunteer. They are not paid to work on it and gain nothing from the fact that you are playing.

Wesnoth updates come fairly regularly and frankly his answer is fine. The next update will fix the problem. So be patient. The individual developers may or may not know the exact date of the next release as it is a group effort and lots has to go into it.

It is a valid point that if you want a bug-free version you should be playing on the 1.6 branch. This is the reason that two separate versions of Wesnoth are maintained and are current. 1.6 is the 'stable' version and will run properly virtually all the time. 1.7 is the development version and while it mostly works the reason it exists is to iron out such bugs as new features and systems are added.

Peet
Max

Post by Max »

peet wrote:If you want "customer service skills" perhaps you should pick up a game where you are actually a customer. That means you paid for the game and the people who make it are paid to answer questions like this.
funny thing is that it's rather the other way round - if you want service and real answers to your problems you're much better off with wesnoth than any commercial game.

25 minutes to get an answer from a dev who confirms your problem and tells you a fix is on it's way - try that with customer support of a commercial game^^
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

If I understand correctly the AI in 1.7 received a major overhaul, and there were some bugs reported in which the AI would get into an infinite loop. On August 22nd one of the developers (crab) changed about a dozen files to address these bugs. Now I'm not sure how much else has changed since 1.7.3, so pretty much the only way to get the change would be to use subversion to check out the latest version (trunk) and compile it yourself.

Or, judging from previous development releases:

1.7.0 May 18
1.7.1 June 29
1.7.2 July 20
1.7.3 August 17

I'd say you can expect 1.7.4 in mid- to late-September.

Alternatively, you can use the stable 1.6.4, which I believe does not include the AI overhaul, and as such will not have this problem.
Last edited by lmelior on August 31st, 2009, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groggarioth

Post by Groggarioth »

Thank you for clearing that up, I've been in other open source games with really sporadic updates.

Should only be a maximum of mid September before the fix comes out, if all goes as planned.

Yet again thanks for clearing that up.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

1.7.4 is out right now, but it has a few other bugs, so you may want to wait for 1.7.5, which should be out before the end of the week.