Merging wesnoth directories on dual-boot machine?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Legolad

Merging wesnoth directories on dual-boot machine?

Post by Legolad »

I'm running a dual-boot Ubuntu/vista machine, and I have Wesnoth installed on both sides. The 2 OS's get about the same amount of usage, and so do the separate Wesnoth installs.

Having Wesnoth on both sides presents a problem. I want my campaign/mp savegames to be accessible by both OS's, along with the userdata directory that accompanies them. windoze can't see the Ubuntu partition of the hhd, but Ubuntu can see the win partition.

I'm wondering how I would go about merging the directories into one place that can be accessed by both the windows and linux installs, if possible. Obviously they would have to be running the same version of Wesnoth in order to do so.
Once upon a time,
There was an Elven Avenger who wondered where exactly that phrase came from, and whether time has physical manifestations that can be sat upon ( or down on, depending on size ).
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Re: Merging wesnoth directories on dual-boot machine?

Post by Baufo »

Windows can see your Ubuntu partition if you install ext2/3 drivers. (Assuming that you used ext2 or 3 of course). See http://www.fs-driver.org/.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

Probably easier to have the linux one use data from the windows one, as ntfs support is now commonplace and doesn't require much effort. Just use the proper command switches under linux to make it use the windows dir.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I don't know much about that, but compiling with prefsdir= set to the windows' preference directory might work. This assumes you are using SCons, I haven't used CMake. I don't thing that could break anything - but it isn't my PC and I haven't used Linux in a while.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Moved to tech support due to the nature of the question.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Legolad

Post by Legolad »

Thanks guys! Launching Wesnoth with the windows data dir works great:

$ wesnoth /media/disk/<path to wherever it is installed>/Wesnoth

I still need to test this configuration more thoroughly, but for now it works. I have to mount the windows partition prior to launching Wesnoth, but that's no biggie.

Thanks again! :D
Once upon a time,
There was an Elven Avenger who wondered where exactly that phrase came from, and whether time has physical manifestations that can be sat upon ( or down on, depending on size ).
silene

Post by silene »

Legolad wrote:Thanks guys! Launching Wesnoth with the windows data dir works great:

$ wesnoth /media/disk/<path to wherever it is installed>/Wesnoth
Note that, while this works, it doesn't merge both directories (and in particular, you have to either type the path each time or write a small launcher script). Moreover, I'm don't know if it will properly share saved games. So another suggestion could be to either create a symbolic link (ln -s /media/disk/.../Wesnoth ~/.wesnoth1.99) or bind a mountpoint (mount --bind /media/disk/.../Wesnoth ~/.wesnoth1.99).
Legolad

Post by Legolad »

Moreover, I'm don't know if it will properly share saved games. So another suggestion could be to either create a symbolic link (ln -s /media/disk/.../Wesnoth ~/.wesnoth1.99) or bind a mountpoint (mount --bind /media/disk/.../Wesnoth ~/.wesnoth1.99).
At first I considered using a link or mountpoint but I wasn't sure how to go about doing so. I'll try these when I have time later today. Thank you! :D

Edit: Just wondering, what is the significance of the ".99" extension?
Once upon a time,